General Dynamics C4 Systems

www.gdc4s.com
  www.gdc4s.com
There are newer employer reviews for General Dynamics C4 Systems

Good company, but appears to be on the decline.

Current Employee - Field Support Engineer III in Fort Bragg, NC
Current Employee - Field Support Engineer III in Fort Bragg, NC

I have been working at General Dynamics C4 Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is on par with inustry averages, traveling, and most of my coworkers are awesome. The benefit packages are ok, but they used to be much better. The work experience is good as long as you have a manger that will take care of you.

Cons

GD retirement is long gone, PTO days have been reduced, and 401K match is not what it used to be. OCONUS positions are fewer and the pay isn't as good as it used to be for those positions. No raise for FY 13!

Management needs to find a balance between cutting cost and remaining an asset to the customer. It would not be wise to cut cost so much as to lose all of the intangible assets that make GDC4s a great company for the customer and the employee’s.

392 Other Employee Reviews for General Dynamics C4 Systems (View Most Recent)

The Place Where Efficiency is the Enemy of the Company

Former Employee - Principal Staff Software Engineer in Sunrise, FL
    Former Employee - Principal Staff Software Engineer in Sunrise, FL

I worked at General Dynamics C4 Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I learned a lot about my specific software engineering domain.

Cons

I was forced to work 6-day weeks but get paid for only 5.

You must submit your time card precise to 30-min increments at the end of every day.

Interesting project work is centered in Massachusetts and Arizona - employees at other sites are treated as internal contract labor.

Goal is to bill the customer (typically the federal government) for as many hours as possible and maximize the conversion of awarded contracts into payments. This is contrary to engineers' goals of operating efficiently and innovatively.

Great people, ever decreasing benefits, morale, opportunities

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Taunton, MA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Taunton, MA

I worked at General Dynamics C4 Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I retired a couple of years ago as the retirement benefit was about to change as a result of a Government mandate due to underfunding. I've heard that the retirement plan is now adequately funded, however, the retirement plan benefit has been reduced and closed to new employees for quite some time now.

The C4 Systems division was best when it was GTE Government Systems on almost all points, but it was changing even then in the later years, Dropping the employee stock plan was a major blow to GTE benefits.

Are these Pros? Okay here's one, after working with people closely they are truly great people that want to service the customer in the best way possible. More companies should have people like this. It is unfortunate that some of the Government representative don't really see it that way. They seem to view Government contractors as only self/company-serving.

GD is pushing women in management agenda like many Government contractors... this is also a Con as much more qualified employees are often overlooked in the process and the work effort suffers.

All the Pros this company once had is changing for the worse every day.

Cons

- Currently, the erosion of benefits occurs several times a year. The most egregious was the elimination of sick time in exchange for adding extra Paid Time Off (PTO), i.e. vacation, then reducing yearly accrual of PTO hours only a couple of years later, with a net result of no sick time unless you want to spend your vacation time in a sick bed. No sick time has resulted in many employees coming to work sick, thus making others sick. Since there is no unique charge number for sick time, the company has no idea how often its employees are sick (a lost metric). I did see where the old unlimited sick time policy was abused.

- Small amounts of layoffs occur often, like management is trying to stay below the radar of the media while leaving the remaining employees with a feeling of 'who's next...maybe me'. Nobody talks about the work anymore, just the erosion of benefits and low morale.

- Management is very indecisive.

Upper management will only design solutions for their Government customer that leaves them dependent on General Dynamics. Preferably for a long time.

- Different divisions do not assist each other or feed each other work because the leaders see it as helping the leaders of other GD divisions that they compete with. A rather frank leader said exactly this in an all-hands meeting. He has my respect for telling the truth.

There are newer employer reviews for General Dynamics C4 Systems