There are newer employer reviews for General Dynamics C4 Systems

The best experience of my career.

Former Employee - Engineering Support  in  Needham, MA
Former Employee - Engineering Support in Needham, MA

I worked at General Dynamics C4 Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people were beyond great. There was a bond that went well beyond the conference room. The compensation was at least a Birdie if not an Eagle (better than "par").

Cons

My experience ended in June of 2011, when the company was starting their cost savings effort, when I was laid off. The health of the company is directly coupled with the governments economic efforts.

Do everything possible to stay a good family, beyond the money I was a contributor. I see that slipping away, and it makes me sad.

376 Other Employee Reviews for General Dynamics C4 Systems (View Most Recent)

"Quality formalized Infrastructure to develop hardware and software solutions."

Former Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at General Dynamics C4 Systems full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Lot's of boundaries - Very formal processes, if you like to go with the flow then it's a great place to work (this could also be a con - you decide).

Cons

You don't get compensated for the personal risks you bear by having information related to a security clearance.

Look seriously at agile development. You might think you know what it is, but a cursory look wont get you there. Jumping in fully as a company is required to fully see the benefits.

Could be a could place to work... but it isn't...

I have been working at General Dynamics C4 Systems

Pros

- Salary is decent
    - Benefits are decent (but that was slowing changing when I left, they decided at one point that since we weren't using all of our paid time off that they would just decrease the accrual rate for everyone since we didn't need it)
    - They do have interesting projects and programs.

Cons

- You have to leave the company and come back to get any type of promotion.
    - The software architect is a .NET drone and truly believes that .NET is the right tool for the job even if it is obviously not. You would think after the 3rd time of trying to build complex applications using .NET which have requirements to run on Linux and using Mono to meet this requirement and failing miserably every time that you would learn from these mistakes. Think again...
    - Performance isn't based on your work output. It is based on how well you brown nose with your superiors.
    - Those interesting projects and programs can turn into nightmares if said software architect is involved.
    - When the projects that said architect is involved with fail, he will instantly throw his team under the bus to save himself.

Take advice and input from subordinates seriously. If a program or project is failing and there are common denominators on a series of failed projects then you probably have the reason as to why they failed. Provide better opportunities for promotions and career advancement. AND don't take criticism so personally as everyone there wants to better the company.

There are newer employer reviews for General Dynamics C4 Systems

Worked for General Dynamics C4 Systems? Contribute to the Community!