General Dynamics C4 Systems

www.gdc4s.com

Great people, ever decreasing benefits, morale, opportunities

Systems Engineer (Former Employee) Taunton, MA

ProsI retired a couple of years ago as the retirement benefit was about to change as a result of a Government mandate due to underfunding. I've heard that the retirement plan is now adequately funded, however, the retirement plan benefit has been reduced and closed to new employees for quite some time now.

The C4 Systems division was best when it was GTE Government Systems on almost all points, but it was changing even then in the later years, Dropping the employee stock plan was a major blow to GTE benefits.

Are these Pros? Okay here's one, after working with people closely they are truly great people that want to service the customer in the best way possible. More companies should have people like this. It is unfortunate that some of the Government representative don't really see it that way. They seem to view Government contractors as only self/company-serving.

GD is pushing women in management agenda like many Government contractors... this is also a Con as much more qualified employees are often overlooked in the process and the work effort suffers.

All the Pros this company once had is changing for the worse every day.

Cons- Currently, the erosion of benefits occurs several times a year. The most egregious was the elimination of sick time in exchange for adding extra Paid Time Off (PTO), i.e. vacation, then reducing yearly accrual of PTO hours only a couple of years later, with a net result of no sick time unless you want to spend your vacation time in a sick bed. No sick time has resulted in many employees coming to work sick, thus making others sick. Since there is no unique charge number for sick time, the company has no idea how often its employees are sick (a lost metric). I did see where the old unlimited sick time policy was abused.

- Small amounts of layoffs occur often, like management is trying to stay below the radar of the media while leaving the remaining employees with a feeling of 'who's next...maybe me'. Nobody talks about the work anymore, just the erosion of benefits and low morale.

Advice to Senior Management- Management is very indecisive.

Upper management will only design solutions for their Government customer that leaves them dependent on General Dynamics. Preferably for a long time.

- Different divisions do not assist each other or feed each other work because the leaders see it as helping the leaders of other GD divisions that they compete with. A rather frank leader said exactly this in an all-hands meeting. He has my respect for telling the truth.

Good until it was bad!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at General Dynamics C4 Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Great people and great middle management Cons: There is no leadership! The so called leadership team is so… Advice to Senior Management: The top leaders should resign, since many of them will… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

The best experience of my career.

Engineering Support (Former Employee) Needham, MA

I worked at General Dynamics C4 Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: The people were beyond great. There was a bond that went well beyond the conference… Cons: My experience ended in June of 2011, when the company was starting their cost savings effort, when… Advice to Senior Management: Do everything possible to stay a good family, beyond the money I was… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on General Dynamics C4 Systems.

Worked for General Dynamics C4 Systems? Contribute to the Community!