General Dynamics C4 Systems

www.gdc4s.com
  www.gdc4s.com
There are newer employer reviews for General Dynamics C4 Systems

Great people, ever decreasing benefits, morale, opportunities

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Taunton, MA
Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Taunton, MA

I worked at General Dynamics C4 Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I retired a couple of years ago as the retirement benefit was about to change as a result of a Government mandate due to underfunding. I've heard that the retirement plan is now adequately funded, however, the retirement plan benefit has been reduced and closed to new employees for quite some time now.

The C4 Systems division was best when it was GTE Government Systems on almost all points, but it was changing even then in the later years, Dropping the employee stock plan was a major blow to GTE benefits.

Are these Pros? Okay here's one, after working with people closely they are truly great people that want to service the customer in the best way possible. More companies should have people like this. It is unfortunate that some of the Government representative don't really see it that way. They seem to view Government contractors as only self/company-serving.

GD is pushing women in management agenda like many Government contractors... this is also a Con as much more qualified employees are often overlooked in the process and the work effort suffers.

All the Pros this company once had is changing for the worse every day.

Cons

- Currently, the erosion of benefits occurs several times a year. The most egregious was the elimination of sick time in exchange for adding extra Paid Time Off (PTO), i.e. vacation, then reducing yearly accrual of PTO hours only a couple of years later, with a net result of no sick time unless you want to spend your vacation time in a sick bed. No sick time has resulted in many employees coming to work sick, thus making others sick. Since there is no unique charge number for sick time, the company has no idea how often its employees are sick (a lost metric). I did see where the old unlimited sick time policy was abused.

- Small amounts of layoffs occur often, like management is trying to stay below the radar of the media while leaving the remaining employees with a feeling of 'who's next...maybe me'. Nobody talks about the work anymore, just the erosion of benefits and low morale.

- Management is very indecisive.

Upper management will only design solutions for their Government customer that leaves them dependent on General Dynamics. Preferably for a long time.

- Different divisions do not assist each other or feed each other work because the leaders see it as helping the leaders of other GD divisions that they compete with. A rather frank leader said exactly this in an all-hands meeting. He has my respect for telling the truth.

392 Other Employee Reviews for General Dynamics C4 Systems (View Most Recent)

Software Engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at General Dynamics C4 Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I have worked with a many great people at this company. Good work life balance.

Cons

The company has been contracting for several years, and has been slashing benefits. Most of the good people (and I have worked with a great many) are now running for the door. Sad to see this happen.

If you had asked me a couple years ago, I would have definitely recommended this company.

You are pushing your good people out the door, while maintaining the mediocre. This is not a recipe for success.

Good until it was bad!

I worked at General Dynamics C4 Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people and great middle management

Cons

There is no leadership! The so called leadership team is so full of themselves that they can not see past their nose

The top leaders should resign, since many of them will be gone in 6 months based on realignment

There are newer employer reviews for General Dynamics C4 Systems