There are newer employer reviews for General Dynamics Electric Boat

Wonderful

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer I  in  New London, CT
Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer I in New London, CT

I have been working at General Dynamics Electric Boat full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits, and the people around here. My group is very informative and work well together. The wealth of knowledge and ability to learn from others here is incredible.

Cons

Location, kind of unfortunate area of New London, but things have been improving. I hear of slow promotion and raises as well, but don't know first hand yet.

As usual, if its true, promote or issue raises based on merit as opposed to length of time worked there.

78 Other Employee Reviews for General Dynamics Electric Boat (View Most Recent)

Many opportunities to do different things.

Current Employee - Principal Engineer  in  New London, CT
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in New London, CT

I have been working at General Dynamics Electric Boat full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stable employment and good salary. Plenty of opportunities to make lateral moves to other projects and programs if you are not satisfied with what you are doing.

Cons

Difficult for mid-career people who have not grown up in the company to advance. Culture is a bit resentful to people who did not start at the company. Management style is somewhat bureaucratic and arcane. Quality of managers and supervisors can be hit and miss.

Improve salaried employee benefits such as vacation time. 40 hours annually for the first 10 years of employment is not comparable with the industry.

A challenging fluids engineering environment with lots of career opportunity.

Current Employee - Senior Engineer  in  New London, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in New London, CT

I have been working at General Dynamics Electric Boat full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Large company, job stability, beautiful New London location, hiring engineers right now, hard working colleagues, good mentors, professional development programs, rotation programs, room for movement to different groups or growth within one group. Many of these pros may be specific to fluid systems.

Cons

Parking stinks, running out of office space for neede personnel, only two weeks of paid vacation, too many procedures and standards to try to follow.

The limited vacation time
    Is antiquated. At least give is the option to buy more days each year. Also, consolidate he procedures to remove overlap and promote their use. Address, don't avoid, the parking situation.

There are newer employer reviews for General Dynamics Electric Boat

Worked for General Dynamics Electric Boat? Contribute to the Community!