There are newer employer reviews for General Dynamics Electric Boat

Extremely rewarding job with great benefits.

Current Employee - Service Engineer in Groton, CT
Current Employee - Service Engineer in Groton, CT

I have been working at General Dynamics Electric Boat full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Retirement plan and 401k not many jobs include these two.

Cons

Tight spaces, promotions are going great with expedience

Advice to Management

Training should be longer with weekly reviews, qualification with exams and oral boards. Increase management equal opportunity issues.

reviews filtered by
  1. Good place to work for a little while.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Kingstown, RI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Kingstown, RI

I worked at General Dynamics Electric Boat full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The money was good for High School graduates or less. The work was fairly simple. Good oppurtunity to move around the company and get some new skills. Get to work on submarines. Raises are fairly regular and decent. 401K match and health benefits are great.

Cons

Negativity everywhere. No one likes working there, and complains constantly. In management, it is very cutthroat. A lot of backstabbing. No one works together at the mid to upper levels of managment.
    Front line supervisors are used up without regard for the long term. Sick time usage expected to be <1%. Two weeks Vacation. Lots of unpaid overtime.
    There is no attempt to bring lazy or substandard workers up to speed, they can get away with murder if they feel like it. People get raises every 6 months whether they are hardworking and good at what they do, or not. Discipline for infractions is non existent, HR is not in control of the company the way they should be.

Advice to Management

Change the culture.

2. Great place to summer intern and potentially work.

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer Intern in New London, CT
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer Intern in New London, CT

I worked at General Dynamics Electric Boat full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, as long as you get your 40 in. Overtime pay for Interns and Engineer 1 & 2. Great people to work with. My supervisor was awesome and I got along with him well. I learned a lot about the company and the systems they design. As an electrical engineer intern, I didn't really learn as much as I though I would about engineering but I did earn a lot about the how the systems work and how they play a role in the overall function of their product.

Cons

For an engineer intern, it could get very boring at times. A lot of paperwork. Not much hands on experience.

Advice to Management

If accessible, having interns rotate to other departments during their internship is beneficial.

There are newer employer reviews for General Dynamics Electric Boat