General Dynamics Information Technology

www.gdit.com
  www.gdit.com
There are newer employer reviews for General Dynamics Information Technology

Overall, generally good experience with the company

Current Employee - Principal Training and Development Specialist in Sierra Vista, AZ

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology (more than 3 years)

Pros

In my specific profession, this is the only real place to have a "9-5" without travel. The pay is pretty good.

Cons

In my workplace, there are a lot of critics watching, and when the government makes cuts, we are the first people to go.

Annual bonuses instead of minor raises would be a benefit for most families during the holiday season.

503 Other Employee Reviews for General Dynamics Information Technology (View Most Recent)

Inefficient, management not open to learning

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Sometimes I could work from home (if I was lucky), the people on other contracts were nice, junior staff was nice

Cons

My managers were complete idiots. I can't believe they were in charge of a $10 million+ contract. How is it possible they pass their audits? Quite baffling. They are masters of BS. They over work their staff because they do not want to learn how to use the technology they've been given (ironic for an IT company).

Stop being so scared of change. Communicate more. Plan better.

Being a project manager doesn't = slowing down work by micromanaging and telling employees how to do their jobs. It means making it easier for the project team to get work done.

Just another warm body

Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Fort Meade, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Fort Meade, MD

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get a small paycheck. They also offer an ok 401K plan.

Cons

The company is essentially a body shop. You are hired as an employee of GDIT but you are really treated by GDIT and the government like you are a contractor. Your real interactions with GDIT are limited to filling out your time sheet and annual benefit selections. In addition, your real work experience is dictated by the government agency that you are working for. Given this situation, your experience can vary from decent to horrible (Decent is about as good as it gets since as a contractor you will likely be treated like a second class citizen by the government employees).

As for the benefits provided by GDIT, they have taken a substantial drop as the company has moved to providing only 2 high deductible health care plan options. The best and most expensive plan has a deductible of $3,000 in network and $6,000 out of network. Essentially, you could end up paying up to $7,750 out of pocket for medical expenses - especially if you have to go to the hospital(they do offer $1250 to seed your HSA account). The HSA money will likely disappear fast though because you will be paying retail medical costs and not the negotiated rate that is set by most plans. The PTO is also not very good as you get 14 days a year off for sick leave / vacation / family emergencies etc.

Basically, if you are young, have no spouse/kids, have no medical problems, and are willing to work cheap to pick up some skills, the job can work out for you. If you don't fit into that profile, you are better off looking at other opportunities.

None.