General Dynamics Information Technology
www.gdit.com Fairfax, VA 5000+ Employees

Just another warm body

Senior Network Engineer (Current Employee)
Fort Meade, MD

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou get a small paycheck. They also offer an ok 401K plan.

ConsThe company is essentially a body shop. You are hired as an employee of GDIT but you are really treated by GDIT and the government like you are a contractor. Your real interactions with GDIT are limited to filling out your time sheet and annual benefit selections. In addition, your real work experience is dictated by the government agency that you are working for. Given this situation, your experience can vary from decent to horrible (Decent is about as good as it gets since as a contractor you will likely be treated like a second class citizen by the government employees).

As for the benefits provided by GDIT, they have taken a substantial drop as the company has moved to providing only 2 high deductible health care plan options. The best and most expensive plan has a deductible of $3,000 in network and $6,000 out of network. Essentially, you could end up paying up to $7,750 out of pocket for medical expenses - especially if you have to go to the hospital(they do offer $1250 to seed your HSA account). The HSA money will likely disappear fast though because you will be paying retail medical costs and not the negotiated rate that is set by most plans. The PTO is also not very good as you get 14 days a year off for sick leave / vacation / family emergencies etc.

Basically, if you are young, have no spouse/kids, have no medical problems, and are willing to work cheap to pick up some skills, the job can work out for you. If you don't fit into that profile, you are better off looking at other opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Inefficient, management not open to learning

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros: Sometimes I could work from home (if I was lucky),… Cons: My managers were complete idiots. I can't believe they were in charge of a $10 million+ contract. How is it possible they pass their audits?… Advice to Senior Management: Stop being so scared of change. Communicate more. Plan better. Being a project manager doesn't = slowing down work by micromanaging… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Principal Software Engineer

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Herndon, VA

Pros: You get a paychack and the work is stable. They sometimes send you to training if they have budget, whicch… Cons: They just changed healthcare insurance to an HRA, which means the first $3,000.00 deductible comes out of your pocket. The insurance pays nothing until that… Advice to Senior Management: Don't lie to employees. If the company is experiencing hard times, you should be… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on General Dynamics Information Technology.

Worked for General Dynamics Information Technology? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at General Dynamics Information Technology reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for General Dynamics Information Technology CEO S. Daniel Johnson. All reviews posted anonymously by General Dynamics Information Technology employees.