There are newer employer reviews for General Dynamics Information Technology

Great Place

Current Employee - Senior Logistics Analyst in Norfolk, VA
Current Employee - Senior Logistics Analyst in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great communication, easy going personalities, collaborative environment, good benefits. No one breathing down my neck

Cons

Its a big company. Easy to get lost. I work at the customers site so there is a lot of trust that I am keeping the customer happyl

Keep it up. Continue to let people grow.

494 Other Employee Reviews for General Dynamics Information Technology (View Most Recent)

Was a wonderful place to work and now it's absolutely horrid

Current Employee - Anonymous in Chester, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Chester, VA

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Free healthcare if you only take employee coverage, decent pay for high school graduates and good for people of retirement age who are laid back

Cons

Where to begin...started working for the company about 7 years ago when it was Vangent and benefits were great. We got an extra stipend to buy our own insurance. The atmosphere was relaxed and everyone treated each other respectfully.

Fast forward to present day, there is no support from supervisors or managers. Most supervisors are uneducated on the policies and systems so if there is a problem its expected you will figure it out on your own. The managers have no clue as to what is going on in the call center let alone what the calls are about. The metrics used to score your performance like attendance, schedule adherence, and average handle time are automatically entered by the system but are never accurate. This has been admitted to call center representatives by upper management but they also informed us nothing would be done about it. To add insult to injury, this incorrect information that is used determines your work schedule for the next 6 months.

However there is a way around getting a horrible shift. If you apply for FMLA it's the untouchable key to success. Just go to your doctor and have them write a note saying you can't work past a certain time or that they have to see you during the day so you can't work past 5 pm. Unfortunately for people like myself who would prefer to be honest and not lie about their medical condition, it leaves us with the undesirable shift choices. If there were to be an investigation into the amount of FMLA used it would be mostly for illegitimate reasons.

The calls are non stop. For senior representatives like myself we are forced to be on the phone constantly with no breathing room while watching lower level representatives have time off the phone that they are supposed to use for reviewing policies but instead it is used for roaming the call center. This is true for anyone doing training because no one keeps up with the amount of time someone is in the training module. Walk around and do nothing however bill the contract customer that we are doing work, which is actually stealing time and a serious offense. Since there is mass favoritism however, this never gets reported by managers that see it occuring.

As senior representatives we also take every call possible from helping lower representatives answer caller questions to irate customers. We are even responsible for calling customers back when the lower representatives hang up on the customer, even if it's intentional. This normally happens around their breaks and lunches so that they can go on time, which inevitably causes us to be late on our own schedule. Even though it has the ability to be tracked, as stated earlier there are no repercussions towards these representatives because the supervisors do not care to do any more work than the bare minimum.

The time off policy is standard but still does not make accommodations for life. You only accrue 1 hour and 12 minutes of sick time every 2 weeks. Heaven forbid you or your child are sick. The sites never close during inclement weather, even during Governor declared state of emergency times. You will be penalized for not coming in, however they will pay for upper management to stay in hotels across the street so that they can open the site for business. You will not only be penalized but also forced to use any paid vacation time you have until it is exhausted. You are not allowed to choose to not get paid for an absence if you have the time to cover it.

In the site where I work they are basing the pay scale based on the poor city area nearby instead of the affluent area where the center is actually located. This allows them to pay less to the workers (mainly minorities of the African American decent) and then blame it on the Department of Labor when there are no raises. Since this is a government contract, it boggles the mind that they would use such deceptive practices.

Along the lines of benefits, the employee only plan is free but to cover a spouse and children it's $460+ every 2 weeks for the HMO and $700+ every 2 weeks for the PPO.

Background checks must clear before getting on the phones but this is a recent change. The contract is awarded and kept based on how many people they have in seats, not taking experience, education or professionalism into consideration. This means they hire mostly anyone who applies. So before, many background checks cleared after training and already having been on the phone so because of that sometimes convicted felons end up working in the different sites. Did I mention that we work with people's social security numbers? They are eventually found out but not before they are already on the phone so the damage is pretty much done.

There is more I could go on about but I think I've said enough.

Listen to the concerns of the employees who make it possible for you to sit in that office and make the money you do. Don't treat our requests like they mean nothing and don't placate us with empty promises just to get us out of the way.

Great Co-workers, challenging environment

Current Employee - Functional Analyst, Senior in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Functional Analyst, Senior in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

GDIT is a good place to work if you are just starting out in your career and definitely a good resume builder. The work environment is casual which a great and rare attribute. There are many opportunities throughout the company and transitions to other positions are supported.

Cons

It's the typical push-down model in reference to responsibilities and work load. Managers push more and more responsibilities on lower level resources without any compensation or recognition. The HR department support our division is not helpful at all when questioned about salaries and benefits. The benefits are expensive and there are limited options.

There are newer employer reviews for General Dynamics Information Technology