General Dynamics Land Systems

www.gdls.com

Not what it used to be

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Sterling Heights, MI

Pros9/80 schedule
Health care benefits including number of sick days allowed is good
It's fulfilling to know you're working to help the soldier on and off the battlefield
Working with military vehicles does have some coolness to it
It's fun to watch tanks drive around the facility

ConsThere used to be many opportunities for advancement and professional development at GDLS but not anymore. Over the past few years everything has been tightened to the point of being nearly impossible to get any training or advancement. Your individual performance is not rated. Instead you are put into a ranking order under a typical bell curve. Recently those in the lower 15% of the bell curve were laid off and upper management requested that the next round of performance reviews must match the bell curve of last years. This means that since the bottom 15% are now gone there must be an equivalent number of people shifted down into the "not achieving" category through no fault of their own.
Moral is completely in the dumps with few people feeling satisfied at work. There have been two rounds of layoffs and it seems like more are likely. Most of the high achievers have left the company. If you are looking for some experience then you can get some professional experience at GDLS but then you'll need to get out. If you already are a professional with experience then I'd avoid this place.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit ignoring your employees and treating them so poorly. Change the performance rating system to actually rate an employees performance instead of a general ranking where only the few "preferred" employees can get above a 4 rating. Diversify!! Army and Marine contracts are drying up. Try to to put our quality products instead of just getting something out on time and expecting the government to pay you to fix the issues that were ignored in the first place.

You are either bored waiting for challenging work, or you are swamped learning and doing it on your own.

Senior Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) Sterling Heights, MI

I have been working at General Dynamics Land Systems

Pros: Military vehicle accessibility. I'm geeked about that. I can give back… Cons: Management ladder climbers. It's not what you know....its who… Advice to Senior Management: Smile at us once in a while. Say hello. Get off your high horse… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Worst Job Ever, Dont do it, dont do it, dont do it.

Engineer (Former Employee) Sterling Heights, MI

I worked at General Dynamics Land Systems

Pros: Pros - average or a little below in wages compared to similar industries but great health… Cons: Poor, unqualified and unprofessional leadership at all levels. Speaking from the engineering side at least. I've seen engineers chastised out in the open… Advice to Senior Management: Move into the 21st century and out of the fifties good ole boy club. When the DOD goes to a fixed price contract for… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on General Dynamics Land Systems.

Worked for General Dynamics Land Systems? Contribute to the Community!