General Dynamics Mission Systems

www.gdmissionsystems.com
Engaged Employer
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for General Dynamics Mission Systems

Good place to work on challenging problems with good people.

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Gilbert, AZ
Current Employee - Senior Manager in Gilbert, AZ

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems

Pros

There are great people to work with. There are some really smart dedicated folks building our systems. The satellites have interesting problems to solve and require cutting edge engineering to make them work right. Working on the satellites you can make a real contribution to science and you can see that contribution in the news on a regular basis.

Cons

The company is facing challenging business prospects. New system starts are irregular and I'm not sure when the next systems will start. Our local business is different from the rest of the company and national leadership doesn't always understand the differences

Advice to Management

More focus and resources on business development, more time and resources for professional development, less energy on making sure everything is consistent across the national company

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Decent place to work.

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Joes, CO
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Joes, CO

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems

Pros

Has numerous promotion capabilities based on the contract you are under

Cons

Most positions are contract related. Potential for transfer is high if contract does not get renegotiated.

Advice to Management

More feedback needed and explanation of what is needed for promotion potential.

Proud to work there but feel disappointed by rules in the company

Current Employee - Software Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Software Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems

Pros

I have enjoyed being involved in some of the most interesting technologies. I have managed to learn a lot, grow, and expand my network and knowledge in the company through the different projects I have been involved in.

Cons

Engineers are often overworked on projects and when it comes time to reward and compensation it seems that they get overlooked. Management seems to be a little disconnected from the engineers. They need to look to the team when making decisions more.

Advice to Management

Try listening more to the engineers. Take time to stop and figure out what is bothering the people about the company. There are round circle "chat with the VP" meetings but people are not always honest or feel that comfortable. Plus, it would be good if other lower level management took the time to determine how things are going so they can make a difference too.

The promotion system is frustrating. I have been told that I have been exceeding expectations and that I work well above my pay grade for some time, yet when it comes to promotions there seems to be an HR policy and perhaps management that think that you can't get promotions unless some x number of years has passed since the last.