There are newer employer reviews for General Dynamics Mission Systems

Excellent Company and management of personal growth

Current Employee - Senior Information Security Engineer in Baltimore, MD
Current Employee - Senior Information Security Engineer in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good involvement with corporate culture and personal growth. If you our at a major site you will get great support.

Cons

Tend to wear out staff with feast or famine jobs. Very cyclical in nature.

Advice to Management

NA

Other Employee Reviews for General Dynamics Mission Systems

Nightmare that I am waiting to wake up from

Current Employee - Engineer in Taunton, MA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Taunton, MA

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have a job I get to work with the military I get to use my degree There is a cafeteria The place is kept clean

Cons

The company wants to be lean, but still has too many layers of management.. Management is not in tune with employees and does not communicate well. Good Ol boy system is full effect Nepotism is rampent throughout company The company also seems to promote those people that fail, but all that makes sense if you read the previous two cons.

Advice to Management

Want to be profitable, shed some management, and some of those people that spend all day surfing the net while working on "charts". Stop purchasing companies and cutting benefits; instead invest in the employees you have Keep the talent you have otherwise you will be stuck with mediocre talent like you have with the managers.

Former GD-AIS Employee review.

Former Employee - Manager in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Manager in Fairfax, VA

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's very structure and your role is very well designed. If you are not a manager you can manage a 40 hour work week.

Cons

It's a bureaucratic culture will bog you down. The number of meetings I had on a weekly basis were ridiculous. I was a manager and I spent at least 30% of my time in meetings and most were not productive. GD-AIS has a policy that all stake-holders have to be in management meetings, including engineering, program management, legal, contracts, and finance. The problem with this is that everyone feels that they have to give an opinion on everything. Listening to contracts give their opinion on the financial performance or finance giving their opinon on the engineering solutions was a huge waste of time in the meetings.