General Dynamics Mission Systems

www.gdmissionsystems.com
Engaged Employer
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for General Dynamics Mission Systems

Interewsting work, but very difficult to get any traction for doing things differently or to make improvements.

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems

Pros

Some excellent talent and a friendly social environment

Cons

Too self-impressed to learn froom past mistakes or from others.

Advice to Management

Get a vision that will motivate the technical staff. "Keeping rates low" as a vision drives away innovation.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

The Place Where Efficiency is the Enemy of the Company

Former Employee - Principal Staff Software Engineer in Sunrise, FL
    Former Employee - Principal Staff Software Engineer in Sunrise, FL

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I learned a lot about my specific software engineering domain.

Cons

I was forced to work 6-day weeks but get paid for only 5.

You must submit your time card precise to 30-min increments at the end of every day.

Interesting project work is centered in Massachusetts and Arizona - employees at other sites are treated as internal contract labor.

Goal is to bill the customer (typically the federal government) for as many hours as possible and maximize the conversion of awarded contracts into payments. This is contrary to engineers' goals of operating efficiently and innovatively.

Where good acquisitions go to die

Former Employee - IT Business Systems Analyst in Gilbert, AZ
    Former Employee - IT Business Systems Analyst in Gilbert, AZ

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Big name, Opportunities for advancement, if in the right area and know how to play the game.

Cons

General Dynamics is a huge company with smaller business units under it. Some function very efficiently, while others are a mess. The AIS division is a dumping ground for every piece of the company they can't figure out what to do with. If your division gets moved under AIS, you know it's a matter of time, before you are sold off to the next higher bidder (the best case scenario) or they will just kill it and fade it off into eternity. This has happened to too many good companies already.

No one ever knows what the process is, because there isn't one. You have endless meetings talking about the processes and plan to discuss more at the next meeting.

Pay scale seems off the charts for some and peanuts for others. It really depends on where you were in the company and how you played your cards. If you could manage to get into a position where you could travel and get paid Per Diem, you'd make a killing.

Advice to Management

Stop telling your people there's no budget for raises, while you all jet set to different cities cashing in on Per Diem pay. it doesn't look good. You built out a proposal center in Arizona, just so you could come here when it was cold in other parts of the country. Funny how no one ever had a proposal in AZ in the summer. It doesn't look good at all.

What's with all the travel anyway? Has anyone ever heard of teleconferencing or video conferencing? I didn't get a raise my last two years there and neither have anyone else I know since and it's been 4 years since you kicked us to the curb. No one I talk to is happy with the direction you are taking as a company and you are still using bad economics to avoid paying raises. Yet, the travel budget seems to still be in full swing. Get real, the company is a dumping ground for anything that doesn't fit in the mold. Too many start ups have been eaten up and done away with, because of the lack of direction.