There are newer employer reviews for General Dynamics Mission Systems

Worst company I have ever worked for - stay away!

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Pittsfield, MA
Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Pittsfield, MA

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Somewhat flexible work schedule, mostly challenging work

Cons

Lack of a competitive benefits package, poor pay increases - always blaming the need to stay competitive, while senior staff reap great dividends from contract incentives. I have worked for General Electric, Martin Marietta, Lockheed Martin and then General Dynamics over a 40 year career both as an hourly worker to a Senior Engineer, General Dynamics was by far the worst. GD took all our benefits away since taking over our plant. Ethics is just a poster on the wall!

Advice to Management

Wake up or you will lose this business

Other Employee Reviews for General Dynamics Mission Systems

Management has NO Clue how to cope with the current environment

Current Employee - SW Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - SW Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Solid technical team. If you're in the right place and tied to the right programs, they are well resourced...but increasingly less so.

Cons

The most unimaginative senior management crew you will find in a company this size. Shockingly so" They have an incredible set of technical skills and assets available to them, but seem oblivious to the need to enter new markets not facing the budgetary constraints caused by being tied almost completely to DoD spending. Instead of leveraging their capabilities to expand into new markets, they're hoping to get a bigger share of a shrinking pie - and doing so while mercilessly and almost randomly jettisoning experienced and capable people. It's like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

Advice to Management

Try to grasp that while you have to control costs, you cannot cut your way to growth, earnings or long-term profitability. Step back and figure out how to prosper in a post-defense-budget growth environment. Foster creativity, not a "keep your head down" mentality.

Depressing Outlook

Current Employee - Systems Engineer II in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer II in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The folks here are friendly, helpful, and enjoyable to work with. There's a great culture, even without a deep immersion. If you're stuck or need to reach out for help outside of your project scope, I've learned that people are invariably willing to assist.

Cons

The current economic crises have taken a toll on compensation and morale. In early 2013 Senior Management nixed merit-based pay increases for at least this year, and in 2012 they reduced PTO earnings. The rate of employment attrition is staggeringly high, but fresh college graduates are being hired semi-annually. I don't have the impression that there is any hope for real career progression.