General Dynamics Mission Systems

www.gdmissionsystems.com
Engaged Employer
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for General Dynamics Mission Systems

Has a good going out of business plan

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They paid well and I worked with some excellent people. The work, when there is work, is generally interesting and sometimes challenging. The lower management layer is success oriented, compassionate, and technically astute.

Cons

Upper management has far too many people to run a company of this size, driving up overhead and making the company non-competitive. The recent "flattening" of management did nothing to alleviate this problem - all the good old boys are still there - still a burden that adds nothing and is sucking the company dry.

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves. You're the problem. Get over it and just walk away while there's still something left.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

No mentorship or guidance but great benefits.

Former Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits. I had a flexible schedule, including 9/80 biweekly work hours. Great pay. Willing to promote quickly.

Cons

Not a great place to start a career as you won't get much guidance. It's great for independent workers in the middle of their career who can assert themselves and achieve results. They really need better business sense to be better able to weather the downturns in the market.

Advice to Management

Change assessments to include personal and professional goals. Quit shoe-horning the topics of those goals and give clear direction to management to make sure that goals really are stretching, measurable, etc. In my experience most employees made this a 2 hour task per year, max, which is not enough to get honest feedback and being thoughtful about

The best 34 years of my life.

Former Employee - Document Control Coordinator in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Document Control Coordinator in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The best part about working at General Dynamics was the people that I worked with. It was also very close to my home. I loved the 9/80 schedule and the flexible hours. It was actually fun to go to work! It was my dream job.

Cons

The down side was our Corporate Office didn't seem to support our particular facility. We felt like since we didn't work on the east coast, we didn't matter.

Advice to Management

My advice to upper management would be to pay more attention to the people that work for you. Take time out of your day to show that you care about us and you appreciate the work we are doing for you.