There are newer employer reviews for General Dynamics

challenging opportunities

Current Employee - Principal Engineer  in  Groton, CT
Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Groton, CT

I have been working at General Dynamics

Pros

pride in work performed, technical challenges, and location. Employees are dedicated and always willing to work hard and help fellow engineers.

Cons

vacation days for years worked lags comparable jobs, could receive better pay elsewhere. Elimination of pension plan for new employees, while following industry trends, was made worse by cutbacks in company contribution to 401k plan. The combination of the two is a huge hit on retirement planning.

...

154 Other Employee Reviews for General Dynamics (View Most Recent)

A OK place to work

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Groton, CT
    Current Employee - Engineer in Groton, CT

I have been working at General Dynamics

Pros

A good place to start and build a resume for one to two years. The starting salary is very good but do not expect high raises.

Cons

The company seems very greedy. They do not have any flexibility. The benefits are lacking and the company dosent seem to care about its employees. We just are numbers to them.

Modernize the Benefits package. Two weeks of vacation for ten years is not enough. Allow flexible work hours. Currently 45 working hours is advised for sallaried, however, policy only says its 40n hours.

Big Aerospace firm with good salaries but poor understanding and concern for career growth of engineers.

Current Employee - Distinguished Member of Technical Staff  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Distinguished Member of Technical Staff in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at General Dynamics

Pros

Good salaries and time off. Complex and interesting applications.

Cons

Very poor support for technical growth among engineers, and little understanding or respect of this problem or engineering career growth as a whole. Work/life balance is not much of a concern - many of my coworkers and I have had extended periods during which we worked 6 or 7 day weeks. Upper management has recently been penny pinching in the extreme, including a thousand small cuts of benefits - very demoralizing.

Need to reorganize into a true "matrix" with departments organized by technical specialty. Find way to make technical excellence and career growth for engineers a top priority. Stop focusing on cutting benefits and start focusing on business growth. Make work/life balance a priority.

There are newer employer reviews for General Dynamics

Worked for General Dynamics? Contribute to the Community!