There are newer employer reviews for General Dynamics

What a mess, but good place to wait for retirement.

Former Employee - Contractor  in  Ottawa, ON (Canada)
Former Employee - Contractor in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at General Dynamics

Pros

Job Security, Free Fridays, relaxed environment

Cons

What a mess... Professional level is very low, no decision makers, a lot of idiots around....

Improve your management system. Two-tier management clearly doesn't work...

154 Other Employee Reviews for General Dynamics (View Most Recent)

A great company, a great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer

I have been working at General Dynamics

Pros

Recognition, the good outcomes always have a name associated and a good project completed is published.
    Oportunities for advancement are always open and your supervisor is also your mentor and counselor.
    Good humor is always present, even at high stress times (we think humor is the last thing we'll lose).
    Morale is high and cooperation is widespread. Doors are always open for help. Past experience is valued and also shared.
    Even though vacation time is rather limited, personal needs are contemplated and there is no preset limit to those needs, as long as your direct supervisor approves.
    In short: a great place to work inside a great company!

Cons

long hours sometimes, weekends included

a pension plan to match other divisions

General Dynamics, 10 years behind the work place cultural times.

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at General Dynamics

Pros

General Dynamics has good job security. Being a defense contractor means there will be jobs until we have world peace. The benefits aren't too bad.

Cons

General Dynamics and the other military subcontractors can be a magnetic industry. That is, once you're in you can't get out and it can be difficult to get jobs elsewhere. What people do at GD often doesn't translate to corporate work due to cultural and technology differences. There are exceptions to this and some pockets where amazing stuff happens.

In many parts of the company it's not fun to be at work and most of the employees I've spoken with don't really want to work there. They are there because they have nothing else going on or are comfortable.

Make General Dynamics a place people want to work at. This is often not the case. And, making it more fun is a cultural thing and not something you can program by giving away more hockey tickets.

There are newer employer reviews for General Dynamics

Worked for General Dynamics? Contribute to the Community!