General Dynamics

www.generaldynamics.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for General Dynamics

There are go gimmies, it will age you, it's good to suffer, join us. (It's a job)

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager/Senior Engineer
Current Employee - Senior Project Manager/Senior Engineer

I have been working at General Dynamics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Not a pro so much as a description of the company. I've been with the company 5 years. I've worked on numerous contracts with varying initiatives, and each had a different management team. Those management teams were all very different, so it's hard to explain how the experience would be for an incoming employee. One commonality is the large number of hours that need to be worked. If you're not okay with that, this probably isn't your company. For me there was a bonus of being able to work from home most of the time, but I know that doesn't necessarily hold true for people who live close to offices. Also, being virtual usually equates to a lot of travel, which obviously varies with the job role. There is a lot of retired former military in the management, and sometimes those management styles come through - this isn't necessarily a bad thing, but you'll not find a lot of office horseplay. It's a serious and professional environment, perhaps even stuffy at times. Frankly I've hated it at times, but I'm glad I've worked here. It's challenging and I've learned a lot and gained real fortune 100 experience, but it's not for everyone.

Cons

There is no clear path for advancement in this company. The people I've seen move up have been around a long time, work hard, and also seem to have experienced a bit of luck in their situations. For example, it's not like you can work hard for a specific VP seat, but if there's a new contract win you might find a juicy role if you played a big part in winning the contract or have skills in performing the work needed. This is not the best paying company out there, there are no financial incentives. The Sr. management seems to know market rates and works to strike a fair wage. You can make a living, but you won't get rich. When a contract ends, I've seen some very good people let go because they couldn't find them a new project, yet the job board has hundreds of postings. There's no synergy in HR between the various GD companies, and I've seen a lot of people tossed aside at the end of a contract in just few years I've been here. One very skilled employee told me he couldn't get HR to call him back about a posting... now he's gone. Don't think once you get your foot in the door that you have a job for life, you really have to work hard, and even then there is no guarantee you'll have a job next year. Management appears to have little to no budget to keep people idle, to the point that you have to question what is the best balance of savings / performance for the shareholders.

Incentivize employees better, either by providing some path for advancement, or monetarily.

181 Other Employee Reviews for General Dynamics (View Most Recent)

Good job, mediocre company

I have been working at General Dynamics

Pros

Flexible work schedule; interesting work; excellent coworkers; decent salary; multiple work locations for easier relocation and cross-site collaboration; new computers every 2 or 3 years.

Cons

Ineffective management; government and defense sector can be a tedious industry; no raises or bonuses for the last 3 or 4 years;

Management seems to be focused on the shareholders and not retaining top talent.

Past years have seen reductions in benefits and rounds of downsizing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at General Dynamics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- great team members
    - nice office space, but everyone (except management) works in cubicles
    - nice breakroom, starbucks coffee machine kept stocked

Cons

- The company no longer offers a PPO Health Insurance plan, and now the only option is a high deductible Health Savings Account health insurance plan
    - Company wide downsizing rounds over the past three years has impacted morale
    - No opportunities for growth
    - Benefits like PTO have been getting reduced more and more past several years
    - web filtering prohibits accessing webmail on corportate LAN

There are newer employer reviews for General Dynamics