Great Place for Interns to Feel Part of the Team

Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Columbia, MD
Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Columbia, MD

I worked at General Growth Properties as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I was the only intern at the time, but I'm sure the team would have been just as supportive of each of their interns. From the first day, I was not treated as an intern to fetch coffee, but given real tasks that affected the company. I was given numerous opportunities to work on all levels with management, projects, and even conferences. Another key aspect was the mentorship. It was highly important to me that the position not only allowed me to learn industry practices, but also had the mentor component. My manager really made sure to check on my task/duties and career goals.

Cons

As one of the former intern mentioned: The field of business is narrow. But if you can learn the concepts from each task, I think you can carry them into the future.

Other Employee Reviews for General Growth Properties

1. Still a good company, used to be great

Former Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at General Growth Properties full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Values high performing employees, adequate pay and benefits, and before the bankruptcy filing senior management was very approachable. Every day was a different challenge. Bankruptcy filing was stressful, but was a great learning experience. Overall I'm happy to say I have worked here.

Cons

Hours can get long. The chaotic nature of the bankruptcy process never let up as new management was brought in. Employees that were there before the bankruptcy filing were treated differently, as if it was somehow their fault the company was in that situation. Mass layoffs decimated morale. Company is taking steps to improve, but it's coming along slowly.

Advice to Management

Just because you were brought in to fix the mess of bankruptcy, don't assume everyone who has a history there is part of the problem. The new organizational structure is heavily weighted on middle management, many of them relatively new hires. This has done nothing to improve morale after a lengthy and difficult bankruptcy process that saw staff reduced by 25%.

2. GGP

Current Employee - Ad, Inistrative Assistant in Christiana, DE
    Current Employee - Ad, Inistrative Assistant in Christiana, DE

I have been working at General Growth Properties full-time (More than a year)

Pros

pay is competitve, fabulous coworkers

Cons

Company could improve on health benefits.