satisfactory

Former Employee - Assistant to the Assistant Registrar in London, England (UK)
Former Employee - Assistant to the Assistant Registrar in London, England (UK)

I worked at General Medical Council full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Gain more experience in the line of getting to know more about the profession and what is right and what is wrong and how those professional people apply themselves according to the Rules and Regulations that had been stated for them to follow and adhere.

Cons

There's nothing I could think of at the moment I guess there were times I was busy and the deadline needed to be met which that would caused major panicking and sometimes it could cause temper flying high. The Deadline of endless meetings.

Advice to Management

I haven't got any advice what so ever.

Other Employee Reviews for General Medical Council

1. Strange Culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at General Medical Council full-time

Pros

day one you have a lap top and immediate access plus all the facilities at your disposal. There is potential for progression.

Cons

The work Culture is stuck in the dark ages, I worked for the national team looking at serious cases, but the company takes itself too seriously. Note I said itself and not the work, Any professional can work hard but their ego is that they are more important than the medical profession office is sterile, conversation is not encouraged, asking for advice and help was frowned on

Advice to Management

change your working culture, be more inclusive and not heirachy driven

2. Toxic culture. The type of place you wished you hadn’t returned to after day one at the office.

I worked at General Medical Council full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work is not very taxing. The IT system is good. It is a well-resourced organisation funded by doctors so job security is good.

Cons

Most of the employees are of mediocre talent and have very little clue about the UK healthcare system which is quite shocking. There are very low levels of trust and most people don’t behave very humanly resulting in a toxic culture. The tone at the top is terrible and permeates throughout the organisation. The lack of social and interpersonal skills across the organisation is something I haven’t seen in any other workplace. After a few years I came to think that behaviour was normal until I left and started in a new job elsewhere and realised it is very abnormal. As another reviewer said it sucks the life out of you and I only realised when I had left what a complete waste of three years it was. It is an organisation that is self-obsessed and too busy managing its PR than actually trying to make a difference or ‘work for patients’ as it likes to say. In the words of an expert NHS commentator: “The GMC is mired in procedures, codes and codswallop and serves very little purpose; they strike-off the register only a handful of miscreants a year. Better to confine their activities to keeping a register of the qualified on a big computer in Milton Keynes, strip the rest of their nonsense and make the employers responsible for the behaviour of their staff, hiring and firing like any company from the real world”. Defensive. Secretive. Useless. Humourless. Never again.