There are newer employer reviews for General Mills

Great company with great people!

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Great work life balance and loads of talented people at all levels.

Cons

No downsides that I've found yet.

Advice to Management

Just keep up the good work!

Other Employee Reviews for General Mills

1. General Mills - great brands, great people, great place!

Current Employee - Associate Marketing Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Associate Marketing Manager in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

The people and the atmosphere. When I was first recruiting, I even got skeptical because I could not believe that everyone at this company is so passionate about the work they do - when they talked about it, their eyes glowed and they just couldn't stop. But when I joined I realized it is true, and it doesn't just apply to my function (Marketing) - I've had the opportunity to work with cross-functional teams where people are so passionate that I have my R&D colleague approaching me about an opportunity to improve margins and my Finance colleague about an idea for a new product. It truly make working here a very enjoyable and easy experience. All this is enhanced by the fact that we work in a gorgeous campus - it's the best I've see (and I've seen many, since I used to be a consultant). We even have an art curator to take care of all the art around the building, the cafeteria is amazing, we have a great gym, hair salon, concierge, company store... what else could you want?

Cons

The only downside right now is that the company is doing so great in these times, that no one wants to leave the company, so it's creating a backlog and it's taking a bit longer than usual for people to get promoted. And because General Mills pays so much attention in hiring very bright and passionate people, and because it's a very caring employer, they are not very active in managing people out.

Advice to Management

I would recommend that they keep the information flowing, because it's truly energizing for employees when there's transparency at the top and everyone is aware of what's going on and what to expect.

Doesn't encourage diversity (in thought or personnel), and lags behind in promoting/accepting work-life balance.

Current Employee - Customer Account Manager II
    Current Employee - Customer Account Manager II

Pros

Stable place to work - you'll NEVER get fired here. It seems as though they encourage people to chug along their careers in mediocrity without fear of reproach.

Cons

Creativity is often stifled. There is an extreme lack of diversity – in thought, or personnel. Work life balance exists in only a very few work functions – almost nonexistent in Sales. Compensation is far behind vs. peers – even with the “Total Rewards” comparisons. Often times there is a definite arrogance at GMI that make it dificult to create any real change or progress. It’s headquartered in Minneapolis.

Advice to Management

think out side of the box, have courage to stray from the typical GMI way of thinking