General Mills

www.generalmills.com
  www.generalmills.com
There are newer employer reviews for General Mills

This is a company where you can go places, people respect you, and you can make lasting connections

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at General Mills as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Competitive salary for industry
Great, flexible environment
Recognition by peers and management

Cons

Difficult to achieve promotions
Highly matrixed org

Make people feel like they are able to get to the top in a shorter amount of tim

627 Other Employee Reviews for General Mills (View Most Recent)

Beware of offers to good to be true!

Former Employee - CMT in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - CMT in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at General Mills full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits and retirement if you could stand to work there that long.

Cons

Everything I was told by human resources in Albuquerque was a lie. They brought hire groups in and gave them a realistic job preview and told us one pay system and then once people quit there jobs because it souinded great they found out that none of this was really true during there orientation. From the pay scale system to when I was able to get raised and how much they would be it was all lies. HR and the majority of support staff has little or no work experience, they hire people right out of college and put them in charge of people that have worked at plant for 20 years. Alumnism is out of control. Most frustrating job I ever had. Glad to be gone. They are now laying off people that have been at plant for 20 years and replacing them with lowered paid people doing the same job. I can't believe the rest of the company runs the way this plant does the General would be out of business.

HR needs to be honest about salary. They have been telling lies to the last 3 hire groups to get people to accept positions. Morale is terrible. Before I left there was a lot of chatter about unionizing and if things don't change it will happen.

Times Have Changed

Current Employee - Trade Marketing Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Trade Marketing Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Strong brands, friendly people, great retirement (still offers a pension and 6% 401K match), good benefits (full medical/dental), "Minnesota Nice" culture

Cons

People being replaced by processes, average compensation (50-60% percentile for CPG), bureaucratic career path, slow to react in the marketplace, difficulty retaining top talent (quality of the people is decreasing)

If GMI wants to remain a "best place to work," they need to treat their employees better - value education, compensate in the top tier of CPG (80-100% percentile), change org chart to reflect more merit driven culture

There are newer employer reviews for General Mills