There are newer employer reviews for General Mills

Beware of offers to good to be true!

Former Employee - CMT in Albuquerque, NM
Former Employee - CMT in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at General Mills full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits and retirement if you could stand to work there that long.

Cons

Everything I was told by human resources in Albuquerque was a lie. They brought hire groups in and gave them a realistic job preview and told us one pay system and then once people quit there jobs because it souinded great they found out that none of this was really true during there orientation. From the pay scale system to when I was able to get raised and how much they would be it was all lies. HR and the majority of support staff has little or no work experience, they hire people right out of college and put them in charge of people that have worked at plant for 20 years. Alumnism is out of control. Most frustrating job I ever had. Glad to be gone. They are now laying off people that have been at plant for 20 years and replacing them with lowered paid people doing the same job. I can't believe the rest of the company runs the way this plant does the General would be out of business.

Advice to Management

HR needs to be honest about salary. They have been telling lies to the last 3 hire groups to get people to accept positions. Morale is terrible. Before I left there was a lot of chatter about unionizing and if things don't change it will happen.

Other Employee Reviews for General Mills

1. Times Have Changed

Current Employee - Trade Marketing Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Trade Marketing Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong brands, friendly people, great retirement (still offers a pension and 6% 401K match), good benefits (full medical/dental), "Minnesota Nice" culture

Cons

People being replaced by processes, average compensation (50-60% percentile for CPG), bureaucratic career path, slow to react in the marketplace, difficulty retaining top talent (quality of the people is decreasing)

Advice to Management

If GMI wants to remain a "best place to work," they need to treat their employees better - value education, compensate in the top tier of CPG (80-100% percentile), change org chart to reflect more merit driven culture

2. Solid company that always intends to treat its employees well

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN

I worked at General Mills full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

General Mills really does try to treat its employees well. Benefits at the main campus include infant care, dry cleaning service, full-service auto center & gas station, fitness center.

Cons

Networking and constantly cultivating advocates are critical to career success and growth. Individuals with support from leadership are promoted while those without such advocates are not, regardless of actual performance.