There are newer employer reviews for General Mills

Excellent people, exciting work, and good food

Current Employee - Marketing Communications in Minneapolis, MN
Current Employee - Marketing Communications in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time

Pros

Everyone that I have met at General Mills is great at their job, very friendly, and always willing to help. For me, working with great people makes a great job, and you will find that at General Mills across functions. Beyond the people, it is exciting to work on well known and beloved brands and I've seen the doughboy, Green Giant, and Helping Hand wandering the hallways. Finally, it wouldn't be a full review without mentioning the great food- whether it's buying our brands at the company store, testing new recipes in the Betty Crocker kitchens, or good lunch in the cafeteria, General Mills HQ is full of good food.

Cons

I've found that General Mills has a very high achieving culture. While that is great for business results and working with awesome people, it can translate into stress and lots of work. However, I think that is true of most corporate jobs, and the HQ has a great fitness center for working off the stress and we have many amenities that take away some errands.

607 Other Employee Reviews for General Mills (View Most Recent)

A good place, but certainly not as great as the war chest of accolades would suggest.....

Current Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time

Pros

-Very good health insurance
    -Nice corporate office with plenty of "creature comforts"
    -Ethical and genuinely interested in doing the right thing
    -Strong work-life balance programs; but most people are too overworked to take advantage of them

Cons

-Compensation equity issues and lack of pay for individual performance
    -Limited advancement opportunities for stellar performers and high potentials; leads to a culture of extreme competitiveness for a limited number of development track roles in Sales & Marketing
    -Very hierarchical "yes" culture, which is overly process driven
    -Not a good place for experienced hires and longer term employees who aren't at Director level

Give the self-congratulatory rhetoric a rest, and stop investing in internal propaganda to attempt to salvage employee morale. Instead, figure out who your key performers are, identify your diamonds in the ruff and do everything you can to retain them - as in offer generous raises and development options to deserving people you intend to keep. Also, reign in the egos of a small yet infectious handful of insercure self-serving managers and ineffective "leaders" and get them out of the organization before it's too late. Just because someone is in a leadership roles doesn't mean they've earned it or deserve to keep it if they are part of a system killing the spirit of the organization.

General Mills is a decent company to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Murfreesboro, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Murfreesboro, TN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

One of the better manufacturing jobs in the area.

Cons

Expect to get asked to donate time and or money multiple times a year
    Slow to develop new market winners

There are newer employer reviews for General Mills