Left after 1 year - Very poor day-to-day organization

Former Employee - Maintenance Team Leader in New Albany, IN
Former Employee - Maintenance Team Leader in New Albany, IN

I worked at General Mills full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits were fair. Lots of opportunities to take on additional work.

Cons

New Albany Pillsbury plant very unorganized. Union members not held to contract. Senior management let union members basically do what they please. No accountability for overtime yet junion salaried staff (team leaders) held to reduce overtime. Very much a 'Plan-of-the-Month' style of management. Senior management backs union members - not salaried staff.

Advice to Management

It's hard to hit a moving target. Give the floor managers 3 to 6 months to implement a plan and/or project. They need time to put a plan in place, monitor, and make adjustments. Changing the target every 30 days is just setting up the mangers for failure.

reviews filtered by

Excellent Company to work for

Current Employee - Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very good benefits, great amenities, flexible work environment, family friendly.
    Rewarding work. You can really see how your efforts help the company.
    World Class products that are recognized throughout the world.

Cons

Up until recently both pension and 401k (matching 50 cents per dollar). Now Pension is slowly going away for new hires but still very good 401k plan.
    The company tends to follow fads a little too long.

Advice to Management

focus on your core products and be more aggressive against your competition.

2. Excellent people, exciting work, and good food

Current Employee - Marketing Communications in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Marketing Communications in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time

Pros

Everyone that I have met at General Mills is great at their job, very friendly, and always willing to help. For me, working with great people makes a great job, and you will find that at General Mills across functions. Beyond the people, it is exciting to work on well known and beloved brands and I've seen the doughboy, Green Giant, and Helping Hand wandering the hallways. Finally, it wouldn't be a full review without mentioning the great food- whether it's buying our brands at the company store, testing new recipes in the Betty Crocker kitchens, or good lunch in the cafeteria, General Mills HQ is full of good food.

Cons

I've found that General Mills has a very high achieving culture. While that is great for business results and working with awesome people, it can translate into stress and lots of work. However, I think that is true of most corporate jobs, and the HQ has a great fitness center for working off the stress and we have many amenities that take away some errands.