General Mills

There are newer employer reviews for General Mills

Not What I Expected

Former Employee - Financial Analyst II in Golden Valley, MN
Former Employee - Financial Analyst II in Golden Valley, MN

I worked at General Mills full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The culture is very collaborative and the people are friendly. They have a lot of company sponsored (paid for) events which make you feel valued and appreciated. They have a broad three day on-boarding class which gives you an excellent overview of the company, and uses real-world business cases. The salary and benefits are excellent.

Cons

General Mills has a very unique internal language that is hard to learn. The job-specific onboarding is more of a trial and error approach than a well-documented or well thought process. I sat in my cubicle and took notes while the guy training me played on his Iphone, and tried to remember what he had done in the past. The work life balance is poor, and while no one tells you to work nights and weekends, it is necessary to put in extra hours to keep up with your work. It is not uncommon to receive requests at night or on the weekend.

Spend more time with new people, and make sure proper documentation is in place for newhires.

658 Other Employee Reviews for General Mills (View Most Recent)

Some good, some bad.

Current Employee - Team Leader II in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Team Leader II in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at General Mills full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly place to work. People are nice and there is plenty of opportunity to develop great relationships.

Cons

Lack of direction from and miscommunication from leadership.

Do what you preach. Before trying to implement new ideas, spend a little time trying to understand the impact to the employees and put a little effort into the deployment strategy.

Few people are offered all the opportunities

Former Employee - Buyer in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Buyer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at General Mills full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good work-life balance, competitive pay, nice office.

Cons

The majority of the advancement opportunities are continually hand fed to a select few people. Either be one of the chosen ones or plan to get dumped on again and again. Oddly enough, the few people that seemed to get all the handouts also had a parent working in senior leadership. Funny how that works, huh?

There are newer employer reviews for General Mills