General Mills

Great internship experience

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at General Mills as an intern

Pros

Great culture and intern training

Cons

Great summer internship experience but office located not convenient

707 Other Employee Reviews for General Mills (View Most Recent)

It's a living.

Current Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at General Mills full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Ample days off for technicians, decent benefits and environment. Very transparent in regards to changes that occur and what is happening in the company. Management treats the technicians decently. Low stress and I always know what time I am going home.

Cons

Low starting pay with a rigid advancement process that causes the best people to leave because they can't live on the wages while waiting to advance. I would not move into any role other than a technician because you are basically a slave to the plant. I see those in support roles coming in on weekends and constantly staying late, plus they are on call 24/7! This company tells new hires they emphasize a work-life balance but it seems it's only for those of us who are on the floor making product.

Cut back on the acronyms, it is beyond ridiculous. I am surprised we even speak English at the plant instead of uttering two and three letter acronyms to each other in order to communicate. Also, stop bribing people with "incentives" to donate to United Way in order for the company to look good to the community. Giving should come from the heart, not from a desire to get a little more time off from work.

Not What I Expected

Former Employee - Financial Analyst II in Golden Valley, MN
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst II in Golden Valley, MN

I worked at General Mills full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The culture is very collaborative and the people are friendly. They have a lot of company sponsored (paid for) events which make you feel valued and appreciated. They have a broad three day on-boarding class which gives you an excellent overview of the company, and uses real-world business cases. The salary and benefits are excellent.

Cons

General Mills has a very unique internal language that is hard to learn. The job-specific onboarding is more of a trial and error approach than a well-documented or well thought process. I sat in my cubicle and took notes while the guy training me played on his Iphone, and tried to remember what he had done in the past. The work life balance is poor, and while no one tells you to work nights and weekends, it is necessary to put in extra hours to keep up with your work. It is not uncommon to receive requests at night or on the weekend.

Spend more time with new people, and make sure proper documentation is in place for newhires.

There are newer employer reviews for General Mills