Way to political

Former Employee - Supervision in Minneapolis, MN
Former Employee - Supervision in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at General Mills full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the brightest people I have worked with.

Cons

Waaaay to political. Managers will have their peers attempt at setting you up, just to see if you support your boss or not. Some are very savvy and it's an easy trap to fall into. If you want to excel, have your ideas respected, don't want to play little political games and want to speak your mind, don't work here. And God help you if you're a Conservative. These folks, especially as of late and their backing of same sex marriage with ostracize you in a second if you don't play the "divwersity" game. I made the mistake of saying I'm not for diversity. Diversity gets no one anywhere, just gives the company warm fuzzy's and a great review in the paper. I'm for individual accomplishment and achievement, not advancement because of diversity, which is funny. This company, like all others, toes the line saying "we don't discriminate by gender, race, sexual orientation" blah blah, but exactly how discriminatory is it to promote someone BECAUSE of those factors and that person isn't qualified. Glad I left...

Advice to Management

Quit playing games, provide a path, knock off the PC crap.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Simply one of the best

Current Employee - IS Developer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - IS Developer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills part-time

Pros

Excellent culture. Very smart people you work with. Family Oriented. Excellent work life balance. I really couldn't ask for more from GMI. Benefits are top notch. The thing that kept me coming back to General Mills are the people, there is a General Mills personality that makes people want to be there. After being there for so long, it is extremely easy to make good friends at work.

Cons

I was not passionate about working with cereal and food products in general. However, I loved the people I worked with, so this was not a huge issue.

2. I work hard for my money

Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative

I have been working at General Mills full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are great - medical, 401k, company vehicle. Flexibility of field location - work from home office. Company is well respected.

Cons

Poorly designed and ever changing sales territories. Lack of opportunity to advance or even make a lateral change within company with this position. IDP is a waste of time.

Advice to Management

Rapport with customers is key to success. Stop changing account responsibility as often.