General Mills

www.generalmills.com
  www.generalmills.com
There are newer employer reviews for General Mills

General Mills is a great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Engineer I in Minneapolis, MN
Current Employee - Senior Engineer I in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing work life balance. Good pay, people, and benefits. Relatively low stress environment. The twin cities is a wonderful location, if you are alright with cold winters.

Cons

There are occasionally too many meetings. We went through a downsizing last year that was tough on morale. Amount of travel can be a lot depending upon the position and project.

Improve meeting effectiveness.

641 Other Employee Reviews for General Mills (View Most Recent)

Good Company Overall, But There Are Better Places for Engineers

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good company with great amenities. HQ is an impressive place with a coffee shop, salon, company store, and many other unique services. The people that you work with are very smart and are there to help support you in terms of learning. Formal training programs are truly world class (how the company works, how to get things done, influencing skills, etc.). Awesome technical training for non-food science or food engineering professionals (i.e. chemical engineers, etc.). On-boarding and actual "on the job training" has improved over the years. In general, developing food products is a very fun and rewarding job (more so than working in a refinery or a chemical plant!). Most importantly, the company's dedication to ethical behavior, community outreach, and diversity is impressive and are the top reasons I'm proud to work for this company!

Cons

Even though the company gets A++ scores in the areas of diversity, community involvement, and ethics, unfortunately there are some major issues that make me question my long term career here.

Upward mobility: There are some functions in the company that seriously lag behind others in terms of promotion. If you work in R&D, expect that you will be left in the dust when you compare yourself to your colleagues that work in Finance, HR, Sourcing, etc. Even functions that share some of the same competencies and educational requirements like Supply Chain (i.e. B.S. in Engineering) have faster career progression. To put this in perspective, the average time to promotion to manager level is around 8-9 years for many functions (HR, Supply Chain, Sourcing). In R&D, you are a trailblazer if you make it to manager in 10-11 years, with most taking sometime between 12-15 years. The good news is that R&D has exceptionally good work/life balance with relatively low stress. However, if you are a "driver' and work/life balance isn't important to you, delivering outstanding results above and beyond your peer set generally won't get you promoted any sooner like it would in Supply Chain, Finance, or Marketing.

Compensation: Starting salary for a R&D chemical engineering major right out of undergrad is good but is considerably less than what you could make in the oil or pharmaceutical industry (which is to be expected). The only complaint I have is that after you are hired, your salary does not keep up with inflation. In other words, new entry level engineers' starting salaries will be dangerously close to the salaries of those with 10 years of experience. I guess that's the price you pay for a fun and relatively stable job (everyone has to eat, right?). Finally, you will find that as a new hire your starting salary is competitive within the context of your functional peers (Sourcing, Finance, Logistics, Sales, etc)., but because of the limited mobility you will find that these people will pass you up very quickly in terms of pay.

Diversity: It's hard to complain about diversity at General Mills because they get so many things right. The company's commitment to all minorities through it's support of affinity groups like the Black Champions Network, Hispanic Network, and Asian Network is amazing and very inspiring. Also, the number of minorities (namely African-Americans) in executive and senior leadership positions within the company is outstanding. However, those of us who work in functions like R&D and IS, have no line of sight to what it takes to get there. The majority of of the AA Director & VP representation happens in the Marketing & Supply Chain functions. It's hard to envision my long term career at a company that barely has representation at the manager level in the group that I work (or a pipeline to get there for the talented employees that they have!).

Overall, the company recruits highly motivated, talented, technical leaders for the R&D organization but unfortunately suppresses them with a lack of career mobility and incentives.

Figure out the right incentives to reward employees for the hard work that they do in ALL functions. Move the R&D culture from a place where "treading water" is OK to producing outstanding results above and beyond is rewarded appropriately. Figure out why there appears to be a glass ceiling for AA employees in R&D despite the abundant talent that comes into the organization. Why don't we advance beyond a certain point? Why do we leave the function...or worse, the company?

Strong conservative company places ethics at highest level

Former Employee - Marketing and Sales in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Marketing and Sales in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at General Mills full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

General Mills provides excellent training in the discipline of business including all the legal and ethical issues that surround day-to-day decisions. When calling on customers, you hold your head high in who you're representing.

Cons

Decisions can be slow because of the bureaucracy and levels of approvers that need to weigh in on many decisions. Marketing and sales need to understand each other's roles better to be even more effective.

Keep the discipline. It is a rare thing in many industries today.

There are newer employer reviews for General Mills