General Mills

www.generalmills.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for General Mills

Excellent work life balance benefits.

Current Employee - Individual Contributor in Minneapolis, MN
Current Employee - Individual Contributor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It is possible to manage work and life at General Mills. Sometimes this means making a conscious choice to take a break from the career track or to be taken less seriously for the choice of working part time (this varies from department to department), but generally there is a healthy respect for having more to life than a job you love.

Cons

Less so than elsewhere, I'm sure, there is still a bit of a stigma with being part time.

709 Other Employee Reviews for General Mills (View Most Recent)

Great people, great company

Former Employee - Applications Analyst in Golden Valley, MN
    Former Employee - Applications Analyst in Golden Valley, MN

I worked at General Mills full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I both interned and worked full time at General Mills as a software developer. Let me state first and foremost that I loved working there, and that they always treated me really well.

Some pros, from a career standpoint:
    -The internship program is a well oiled machine. I would argue that it's almost flawless in its blend of appropriate sized projects, matching you with fellow employees as technical resources, and arranging social activities with other interns.
    -There's a wide variety of teams and technologies to move between if you so choose.
    -Smart, driven, friendly people everywhere. Since the company has such a low turnover rate, you may find yourself on a team with someone who has spent 15-20 years in a given technology. I particularly enjoyed being able to work directly with these people and draw knowledge from them.
    -Due diligence will ensure that you move up through the ranks. If you do your job and do it adequately, you will get promoted in time.
    -Best-in-class work life balance. Most teams let you work from home when it's convenient for you. You're encouraged to be in the office during core business hours (9am-3pm), but this is always flexible depending on your team and schedule.

Some pros, from a perks standpoint (at the headquarters building):
    -TONS of amenities. Onsite gas station, credit union, doctor, hair salon, fitness center, grocery store, caribou coffee.
    -Lots of employee networks and social activities.
    -Great benefits. 401k, pension plan, etc.

Cons

-The typical red tape you'd expect at a big company.
    -From a software developer's perspective, you may not end up working on 'glamourous' projects. (Unless you're really passionate about product labeling, supply chain logistics, etc.)
    -In my opinion, deadlines are valued more than the quality of the product itself when it comes to software systems.
    -Again in my opinion, promotions seem to be too heavily tied to your manager. I've seen good managers that take time to lobby for the promotion of their employees, and I've seen managers that are too lazy to submit the promotion form. (As a caveat, most managers are indeed great, and the lazy ones are few and far between.)

There's some truly great managers at General Mills. Take note of what the best managers (go by employee feedback) are doing and try to get the rest of the managers to learn from them. Also encourage more innovation and don't be afraid to stray from the status quo.

General Mills is an excellent company to work for!

Former Employee - Yoplait
    Former Employee - Yoplait

I worked at General Mills full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

General Mills offers several great benefits. The pay is very competitive & the medical insurance is outstanding compared to other businesses. Working at Gen Mills is like having a HUGE extended family.

Cons

I guess the cons for some would be the hours you may need to put in during a given week. For others, though, this is a blessing.

Be more open to the ideas that flow from the floor. The workers who do the job everyday are your experts, not your interns or newly hired management who are trying to make a name for themselves.

There are newer employer reviews for General Mills