General Motors

Rearranging the deck chairs

Current Employee - Product Manager in Detroit, MI
Current Employee - Product Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at General Motors

Pros

If you love cars or trucks and everything in between, it doesn't get any better. GM's Design and Engineering are top notch in the industry when management let's them loose. GM's pay and benefits are generous - principally because management has to keep the salaried folks on par with the UAW folks. Most people at GM have never worked anywhere else in their career, not do they have the desire to work anywhere else.

Cons

Promotions are 100% based on who you know - 0% based on performance (at least within VSSM). This is an extremely political company, which is the princpal reason that it doesn't perform well in the marketplace. The not-invented-here symdrome is also fairly prevalent.

Do some serious house cleaning within the Exec ranks before the company implodes. Try zero-base assessments of the Directors and above.

1083 Other Employee Reviews for General Motors (View Most Recent)

GM, good economy equals good stable company

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Detroit, MI

I worked at General Motors

Pros

The management does treat you well.

Cons

Many employees approaching retirement create a more conservative atmosphere.

They are very kind but they need to listen to employees regardless of work experience, instead of discounting newer employees.

Beware!

Current Employee - Senior Manufacturing Engineer in Flint, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Manufacturing Engineer in Flint, MI

I have been working at General Motors

Pros

I can't think of too many right now, due to their dire financial situation. About ten years ago it was a decent place to work. Competitve pay, good benefits, profit sharing, lots of vacation and holidays.

Cons

Everything right now. It is looking like they are heading towards bankruptcy. There are massive cuts coming in the salary ranks. Those that are left will be taking pay cuts. Our benefits have been getting cut the last several years. We have only had one pay raise in the last five. It is not a fun place to work right now. Advancement has always been pretty poor, unless you were related to someone or knew someone higher up.

Look at the long term view of the company. In all my years with the company, everything was always looked at in the short term.

There are newer employer reviews for General Motors