There are newer employer reviews for General Motors

Overall good - but had one horrible manager

I worked at General Motors

Pros

the People, Products, and Processes are great. had a bad experience with HR

Cons

Automotive Industry is very difficult to sustain a meaningful career

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Good money while it lasts

Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits Great work with cars Some great people

Cons

Company is run to make executives happy Poor culture - good work is often not appreciated or rewarded No real technology development process, just opinion of Sr. Mgmt. through a gated process

Advice to Management

Focus on the customer (really) Improve the design & decision matking process process (customer-focused) Implement a customer based technology development program Focus on customer satisfaction, not just cost cutting for GM's benefit Eliminate PEP program or change it to include small GM cars, competitor cars and cars more than 6 months old

2. Flat rate technician, GM dealership

Current Employee - Mechanic in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Mechanic in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Motivating to diagnose problems that the average tech can't. Enjoy getting paid buy the job, you get paid what you are worth. If you are making decent money, you deserve to be proud. I love GM cars and trucks, I get to repair them everyday.

Cons

Labour times (time allotted for pay) is getting ridiculous. One half of an hour for a job that takes one hour or an hour and a half. This creates a lot of extra stress and anxiety, not conducive to doing a good job. The technicians feel a great deal of resentment.

Advice to Management

A more accurate and reasonable time study needs to be conducted before publishing warranty labour times. Dealers have invested a tremendous amount of money in training for technicians. Warranty labour times are forcing good technicians to work in the aftermarket. As a result, the strong technicians are leaving the dealer and the weak ones have no choice but to stay. I recently have left the dealer for a large aftermarket franchise, some of my customers have followed me because nobody at the dealer can't diagnose electrical problems. What is happening is the tech staying at the dealer are there because they can't survive anywhere else. Is that who you want working on your product.?