There are newer employer reviews for General Motors

Leadership inconsistencies

Former Employee - Executive Director  in  Detroit, MI
Former Employee - Executive Director in Detroit, MI

I worked at General Motors full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Solid pay and benefits, some good people who know their business. Some of those people are trying to turn the company around, but it is a big challenge in light of the entrenched bureaucracy.

Cons

Bizarre leadership focus too often; inconsistent and frankly too low performance expectations. There are too many mindless bureaucrats within the organization that plod along, working to avoid any responsibility. Too often, it seems like the main objective is to avoid making any decision that might mean responsibility.

Too many times "team" is used as a cover for lack of individual responsibility and accountability.

913 Other Employee Reviews for General Motors (View Most Recent)

My current experience at General Motors has been very rewarding.

Current Employee - Group Leader (Supervisor)  in  Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Group Leader (Supervisor) in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at General Motors full-time for less than a year

Pros

General Motors offers some of the best benefits available from a work place. We have 16 scheduled paid holidays, and start out with 3 weeks vacation. The medical benefits are also phenomenal in comparison to many other companies. Most people that complain either haven't worked anywhere else, or haven't done so in a very long time. In addition. the pay is also very competitive.

Cons

A lot of the Union members favor an adversarial relationship with management, as opposed to understanding that it behooves us to work cohesively. The upper management is more "tolerable" of disrespectful behavior from Union leadership than what I'm accustomed to, but that seems to be common in this area. I'm not confident it's the same way in Detroit.

Maintain the unity that I've seen amongst salary individuals thus far. In addition, we need to perpetuate the imperative nature of our success to the hourly employees. The company (like any other), could easily find itself in a bad situation again, depending on our actions and the economy.

Senior Product development engineer

Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer  in  Warren, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Warren, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great company. Several types of jobs within the company.

Cons

Big company with lot confusion about responsibilities

Need to make people more accountable and cleary defined goals that for each group (not corporate goals)

There are newer employer reviews for General Motors

Worked for General Motors? Contribute to the Community!