Pre-bankruptcy = good, post-bankruptcy = VERY dissatisfied

Former Employee - Finance Manager in Detroit, MI
Former Employee - Finance Manager in Detroit, MI

I worked at General Motors full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

GM has some exceptionally bright people in its workforce.

Cons

GM's finance leadership and CEO are focused on stock prices and profitability and continue to show little interest in the core business. Because of this, GM continues to lose market share.

Advice to Management

Need to balance all aspects of business and focus on more than just the bottom line. This did NOT work in the past and will NOT work going forward. The US taxpayers gave up a lot to keep GM afloat. Don't disappoint them.

reviews filtered by

I thrived on Saturn... and then 2009? Gone...

Former Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Houston, TX

I worked at General Motors full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

o Opportunities and the belief that the better your performance... the greater your value to the company.
    o Great vehicles and awesome technology at a viable price-point for the majority of the U.S. population.
    o Resources and tools are available.
    o Training is a 'part of life' and is integrated into performance reviews.
    o Business metrics and expectations are clearly articulated.

Cons

o Number of employees - is massive. In the downturn of the economy - 2009 - 'cuts' were made along product lines and were not applied to performance reviews or business metrics.
    o

Advice to Management

Walk the talk and value those who perform versus penalizing with forced early retirements when our 401Ks took a beating for believing and support the company.

My current experience at General Motors has been very rewarding.

Current Employee - Group Leader (Supervisor) in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Group Leader (Supervisor) in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at General Motors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

General Motors offers some of the best benefits available from a work place. We have 16 scheduled paid holidays, and start out with 3 weeks vacation. The medical benefits are also phenomenal in comparison to many other companies. Most people that complain either haven't worked anywhere else, or haven't done so in a very long time. In addition. the pay is also very competitive.

Cons

A lot of the Union members favor an adversarial relationship with management, as opposed to understanding that it behooves us to work cohesively. The upper management is more "tolerable" of disrespectful behavior from Union leadership than what I'm accustomed to, but that seems to be common in this area. I'm not confident it's the same way in Detroit.

Advice to Management

Maintain the unity that I've seen amongst salary individuals thus far. In addition, we need to perpetuate the imperative nature of our success to the hourly employees. The company (like any other), could easily find itself in a bad situation again, depending on our actions and the economy.