General Motors

www.gm.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for General Motors

Good company to work for… you get out what you put in as everything in life.

Current Employee - Senior Manager
Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at General Motors full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

1) ability to work with and contribute to current and future product line-up
2) international work experience & opportunities
3) competitive pay
4) good vacation / holdiays

Cons

1) reduction in benefits (e.g., health care)
2) lack of succession planning / younger workforce development (the employee has to take the lead on his/her own career)

Current workforce has a greater mix of older employees, which will eventually be an issue for GM once they elect to retire. Leadership should improve succession planning by developing younger employees and incentivize them to stay with the company. In my years with the company, most of the younger motivated employees tend to leave.

1084 Other Employee Reviews for General Motors (View Most Recent)

Old building and furniture, but good pay, travel opportunities and some cool assignments if you're lucky.

Current Employee - Interaction Designer in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Interaction Designer in Detroit, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you have a good assignment, you get a lot of visibility from your leaders and the public. It pays well and there are opportunities to work long-term assignments overseas.

Cons

Things move slow, cutting edge ideas are usually irritating to management and then the engineers and suppliers are typically not talented enough to do a proper execution of the initial design making designers and the company look bad on whole.

Find better engineering talent. Get more 'Rock Stars' instead of paying the lowest bidder in India to do essential software development. Would be wise to set up a UI development center in San Francisco or NYC to attract top-tier talent. It would be worth the money!

Not the best not the worst

Current Intern - Mechanical Engineer in Lansing, MI
    Current Intern - Mechanical Engineer in Lansing, MI

I have been working at General Motors as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Nice People, but they don't use technology effecively and rarely think of new/better ways of doing a task. My boss did give me a chance to meet with other departements so that I could have a better understanding of the business.

Cons

You can see why they went under, totally inefficent and money spent on lots of unecessary projects. People were impressed with me using Power Point (really?). It was partially due to an older work force, but that's still not acceptable. Some people were still using projection slides for presentations.

Spend money like it's your own.

There are newer employer reviews for General Motors