General Motors

www.gm.com
There are newer employer reviews for General Motors

A nightmare of a job. Like reliving the worst of high school.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Warren, MI
Former Employee - Project Manager in Warren, MI

I worked at General Motors as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The paycheck. There is literally nothing else positive about working there.

Cons

Terrible coworkers. No training (they had the person sitting next to me "train" me. I found out months afterward that she got passed over for my job and was intentionally telling me the wrong info in an effort to "look like the hero" and my bosses were aware of and condoned it.) Worked long hours, but not paid overtime (got to "bank" my hours, but never take them.) The level of bureaucracy is staggering and it's a miracle anything gets done. Everyone hates their job and each other. Everyone is constantly gossiping and trying to stab others in the back. It is like the worst, most cliquey high school experience you could imagine. There is no amount of money you could pay me to go back to that toxic work environment.

Get a clue. Stop rewarding toxic employees.

1041 Other Employee Reviews for General Motors (View Most Recent)

If you're coming to GM for IT - Does not come close to an IT environment

I have been working at General Motors full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay and benefits are good.

Cons

It doesn't matter what position you hired in for, when a re-org happens, nobody cares. No job future here in IT. Old GM directors in IT know absolutely nothing about IT and the nobody knows what the new directors know. No strategy comes from the Top. They leave it to the little guys at the bottom to figure everything out. What a mess it is.

Soon, many of the new IT hires will be walking out the door unless they see a future at this company and leadership from the top down. Get rid of the dead weight that's been sitting around for years!

Worst employment experience ever-Avoid

Former Employee - Group Leader (Production Supervisor/Foreman) in Lordstown, OH
    Former Employee - Group Leader (Production Supervisor/Foreman) in Lordstown, OH

I worked at General Motors full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Competitive salary and benefits. Those are the only Pros.

Cons

Turnover is extremely high in the Group Leader position at the Lordstown location. Training is minimal and does not prepare you to work on the floor. Union employees have too much power and many will make your life hell just for the fun of it. Team Leaders (union employees in charge of a group of other union employees) are supposed to assist the GL and run their teams, problem solve, etc. leaving the GL to manage operations at a higher level, however, they and their team members still work under the assumption that they are "Coordinators" whose only jobs are to give "e-breaks" (bathroom breaks) and to fix mistakes as they arise. Many will use giving e-breaks as an excuse to avoid other work. Rather than fix problems as they arise (ex. contact electricians or maintenance), they will try to pass the buck to their GL's. In effect, Group Leaders are unable to do their own work and are stuck doing their own jobs plus that of the TL's. Expect to work over (unpaid, of course) at least one hour per day in order to complete paperwork and any other issues that arose. You will not be able to stay in your office for more than 5 minutes at a time. You will literally run up and down your area responding to help calls and alarms for 9 hours a day. You will also be expected to come in, at minimum, 30 minutes before the start of the shift (usually 1 hr if your Superintendent likes a pre-work meeting). When hourly employees get their ten minute breaks twice a day, you will not. You will most likely have a meeting. When they get their 20 minute lunches, you will likely not. Expect to be hungry, have sore feet and back, and be tired on a daily basis. Also, as soon as you get used to an area and it is running smoothly, you will be moved to another area or shift.

Put the hourly workers in their place. Stop bowing to the union and undermining your floor managers. Train managers better in dealing with the union's tactics. Offer buyouts to those who have been there 30+ years as they are the biggest impeders of progress and efficiency. Do something about the sexist and bullying culture.

There are newer employer reviews for General Motors