There are newer employer reviews for General Motors

GM - the story of the perfect love hate relationship

Pros

GM can be a great place to work with unique opportunities, creative design problems, wonderful people, and a good balance of work to life. Most mid level management are good people to work for in your functional area. Salary is typically good to better than most, and the benefits are top notch as they have always been.

Cons

The bureaucracy in product development rivals the government. The rigidness to standards and procedures can be overwhelming. The manufacturing side of engineering whines more than a motor with a bad bearing. Most manufacturing/assembly personnel are very unwilling to try anything new or push the envelope. Most of upper level management is out of touch with what is really going on in the new programs. There is little to no opportunity for advancement unless you find it yourself - and even the HR and management will tell you that as well.

Advice to Management

Promote those who deserve it, not those who kiss ass and ask for it.

Other Employee Reviews for General Motors

General Motors - Slowly but surely making changes

Current Employee - Suppy Chain Coordinantor in Warren, MI
    Current Employee - Suppy Chain Coordinantor in Warren, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of additional perks to working at General Motors - free trial of cars every three months, bonuses, group outings, like to the auto show, tigers games etc. Definitely improving work-life balance as well by allowing more work from home opportunities. I have a unique perspective as I spent 6.5 years as a contract employee then left for 14 months and now I am direct. I can see changes have been made since I was away.

Cons

Still has the issues that all big companies face.

Advice to Management

Keep moving in the direction you are moving

2. Great place to work

I have been working at General Motors full-time

Pros

Very flexible work arrangements, great technical expertise, good colleagues. Company treats employees well and recognizes success.

Cons

Can be stressful. Very fast-paced environment. Global nature of business requires early morning and sometimes late night meetings/conference calls.