General Motors
www.careers.gm.com Detroit, MI 5000+ Employees

GM somehow cannot take the leap to be a great company.

Senior Project Engineer (Current Employee)
Warren, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGM still pays better than many companies around Detroit as well as nationally. If you are lucky to be in a good group, you get to do interesting work. For a Mechanical Engineer, cars are among the most interesting things to work on. Detroit suburbs are boring but have many good schools, affordable housing and the state of Michigan is home to good universities.

ConsGM is a company to become a "one trick pony." Most employees end up doing the same stuff year after year. It is important to be placed in an important product development group. Otherwise, career can quickly become meaningless. There are many bad managers. Promotions are generally reserved for people involved in cost cutting. Detroit is not a fun city either.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees need to be empowered and rewarded. It is important to get rid of old boys clubs within the companies.

A good company with lots of engineering talent, trying to do the right thing but sometimes gets in its own way

Product Development Engineer (Current Employee)
Detroit, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: - If you are an engineer developing future products, your work will literally affect thousands if not millions of vehicles, which can give you a… Cons: - The weather in Michigan isn't for everyone. - It often feels like there are many "silos" within GM, and engineering work / findings are… Advice to Senior Management: Join the 21st century by bringing IT up to par: rather than silo'ing information off and only granting access to folks on a case by… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

GM - the story of the perfect love hate relationship

I have been working at General Motors

Pros: GM can be a great place to work with unique opportunities, creative design problems, wonderful people, and a good balance of work to life. … Cons: The bureaucracy in product development rivals the government. The rigidness to standards and procedures can be overwhelming. The manufacturing side of engineering whines… Advice to Senior Management: Promote those who deserve it, not those who kiss ass… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on General Motors.

Worked for General Motors? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at General Motors reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for General Motors CEO Mary Barra. All reviews posted anonymously by General Motors employees.