General Motors
www.gm.com Detroit, MI 5000+ Employees

A good company with lots of engineering talent, trying to do the right thing but sometimes gets in its own way

Product Development Engineer (Current Employee)
Detroit, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- If you are an engineer developing future products, your work will literally affect thousands if not millions of vehicles, which can give you a sense of accomplishment / satisfaction.
- If you are an engineer and you work somewhat hard and show that you are be capable and proactive (self starter), you can move up the pay scale quickly. And you will get the support you need to in order to make the changes you envision.
- The company is very flexible in helping you deal with life events that come up.
- In my time there I have not observed anything "evil" about the company - they are in it for the long haul, they want to do the right thing and not cut corners just because customers might not notice. GM seems to have a strong corporate conscience, even if it means we have to sacrifice profits in the short term.
- The work culture is overall good - the managers are trained to resolve disputes and to conduct themselves fairly. They care about your career, prod you to try to define where you want to go, then they help you to get there.

Cons- The weather in Michigan isn't for everyone.
- It often feels like there are many "silos" within GM, and engineering work / findings are not shared readily and transparently among the engineering teams. Frequently redundant work is done simply because team B wasn't aware that team A had already done that work. Information is not organized, shared, and made searchable.

Advice to Senior ManagementJoin the 21st century by bringing IT up to par: rather than silo'ing information off and only granting access to folks on a case by case, need to know basis, open up access and allow all the engineers to share a lot more of their information with each other - it will accelerate product development.

Diversified

Senior Design Engineer (Current Employee)
Warren, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: New products are very competitive and well positioned in the market. Pricing is very good and incentives… Cons: Slow growth, needs to conquer more affluent customers who are willing to pay more for their cars and trucks. … Advice to Senior Management: Do not shy from facing problems, admit mistakes and do… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

ok

Forklift Operator (Former Employee)
Marion, IN

I worked at General Motors as a contractor

Pros: Lots of nice people- Many lines form their own bonds and often have their own parties and group… Cons: Temporary employees at the Marion, IN plant have no chance of ever getting hired and generally work harder than the full-time employees. I really enjoyed working… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on General Motors.

Worked for General Motors? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at General Motors reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for General Motors CEO Mary Barra. All reviews posted anonymously by General Motors employees.