General Motors
www.careers.gm.com Detroit, MI 5000+ Employees

Lots to learn but not a good place to stay as a contractor

I have been working at General Motors as a contractor

ProsRespectable corporate culture, openness and honesty are common. Some nice perks including occasional use of company vehicles. Highly collaborative global work force: work with and learn from dozens of very capable professionals from around the world on a daily basis.

ConsDeclining benefits packages. Use of contract employees who do the same work as full time employees but with weaker overall compensation, additional bureaucratic hurdles to their jobs, no meaningful performance reviews and no guarantee for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementReinstate compensatory time off. Hire all of the people that the organization depends on as fully fledged members of the business and support their professional development with performance reviews and reward excellence with pay raises and bonuses.

Fair to good

Senior Buyer (Current Employee)
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at General Motors full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: Decent Pay, ok benefits but nothing is included Cons: Constant restructuring. Automotive is up and down. Advice to Senior Management: Engage your employees and trust their judgement No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Overall good company

I have been working at General Motors

Pros: Good people, professional, caring. It is home to some of the… Cons: Bureaucratic. Upper management lost their love for cars and what they mean for the consumer. It's… Advice to Senior Management: Improve communication channels because news, issues, and solutions don't travel all the way up. Functions are territorial and its management protective of… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on General Motors.

Worked for General Motors? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at General Motors reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for General Motors CEO Mary Barra. All reviews posted anonymously by General Motors employees.