General Motors
www.gm.com Detroit, MI 5000+ Employees

Freedom to do your job, can be difficult to get promoted

Senior Project Engineer (Former Employee)
Milford, MI

I worked at General Motors full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFlexible hours, come and go as you need. Large company with many areas to work in.

ConsCan be difficult to get promoted. No clear reasons why some people get promoted and others don't. Seems to be more political than anything. Good performance doesn't get rewarded with promotions, just additional work.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe consistent how you promote people. Provide clear direction to employees and honor your word. Employees often go around to check the boxes to get promoted and others get promoted without accomplishing anything. Very frustrating.

Worked there for 35 years

Production Supervisor (Current Employee)
Fairfax, KS

I have been working at General Motors full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Good place to work and pay is excellent Cons: Hard to get hired there. Have to know someone on… Advice to Senior Management: Need to follow the shop rules Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Industrial Engineer

I have been working at General Motors full-time

Pros: Good work and life balance enjoy Cons: Sometimes have to work split shifts Advice to Senior Management: none Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on General Motors.

Worked for General Motors? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at General Motors reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for General Motors CEO Mary Barra. All reviews posted anonymously by General Motors employees.