There are newer employer reviews for General Motors

I'm very happy at my company

Current Employee - Supply Chain Analyst
Current Employee - Supply Chain Analyst

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The leadership is focuse on making quality, safe and best vehicles in the market, by setting clear vision and value. I'm very convinced our cars and trucks are the best because everyone tries to do their best.

Cons

There really aren't anything I can point out that are negative about the company. Every company has a room for improvement, but we are all working to identify and make those improvements as we go.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Senior IT Project Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at General Motors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Positive work environment with motivated peers as well as upper management.

Cons

The training tools can be improve. Creating some of the training as virtual class rooms should improve the issue of classes getting cancel because the lack of head count.

Advice to Management

Make sure training is available for the employees if you want to retain your employees. Feeling that you can't do your job because the lack of training can be very frustrating.

2. A big company that's actually alright.

Current Employee - Hybrid Controls Engineer in Milford, MI
    Current Employee - Hybrid Controls Engineer in Milford, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are definitely some benefits to woking at GM, 4 weeks of vacation, a big company with big resources when they want to use them, good salaries, good bonuses. I worked in the hybrid division and it was a fast paced area that was full of innovation.

Cons

Its a really big company so change is slow. Also, you can feel disconnected from upper management cause there are so many levels. Since there are so many levels it seems sometimes upper management doesn't make the best decisions, compared to if they were an engineer working on the actually program. Also hybrids was moving towards being process driven, which is good because it makes sure people think about that they do, but really can slow down work an innovation as well.

Advice to Management

My personal manager was excellent! Helped my career, gave me advice, and I could be open and honest with him. If every manager was like him, GM would be the best place to work at I could think of.

To upper management, make sure to stay connected to lower level engineers (7 and below) because sometimes your decisions really don't make sense to us, and I feel if you listened to the reasons why, you might agree and not make the bad decisions that later have to be reversed or fixed.