There are newer employer reviews for General Motors

Very Good

Current Employee - Scrum Master in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Scrum Master in Austin, TX

I have been working at General Motors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Exciting changes and opportunities in IT organization

Cons

Complex corporate procedures and infrastructure are a challenge for accomplishing work quickly

953 Other Employee Reviews for General Motors (View Most Recent)

Good benefits, Overall depends on department and manager

Current Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at General Motors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits (401k, decent health care, 16 holidays, and 3 weeks PTO)
    Opportunity to shape IT process
    Nice diverse talent with an even mix of young, mid career, and senior staff
    Company is making an effort to turn itself around since restructuring after bankruptcy

Cons

While you have a chance to shape IT process, it doesn't exist or has so much red tape it is a headache to overcome.

The company sells itself as being agile with a lot of opportunity to create new innovation. The reality is much of the work in the immediate term and next 5 years will be cleaning up the mess of decades of contractors and poor coding standards.

Some managers and departments are blatantly abusing college hires. When hired, these employees are put into a special bucket with decent raises for the first three years. In some instances these employees are given lead responsibilities (or the whole ROLE) and expected to perform at that level. For those that can handle the additional work it is a great opportunity. Unfortunately they receive the same wage and raises as their non-lead college hires counterparts. HR does not allow these employees who take on higher role work and excel at it to be reclassified and given proper compensation.

Try to cut down on the red tape and push for that innovation you strive for.

Stop taking advantage of college hires. These kids talk and word spreads. You don't want to be known as "that" company to avoid. After three years, these rookie draft picks that took on extra responsibilities and proved their worth will leave for the competition to get PAID!

Hiring and firing culture! Grad students are being shaped to be monsters!

Former Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX

I worked at General Motors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits are amazing! Great salaries and opportunities to own a GM vehicle (which I would never replace for my Mazda) but the perk is there if you want it. Profit sharing benefits are also great but good luck with these recalls. Good working hours.

Cons

Hiring lots of new kids and firing those who are a threat to lead, supervisors, and management. There is a culture of envy and those who came from Dell are ruining the Innovation Center. Too many meetings and people looking busy. Too many 'gatherings' after work and heaven forbid if you do not assist, they want to know why but I never told them. I take care of my disabled father and can't be socializing, drinking, and spending money after work hours. If you do not give them your personal life, there is a problem. If you go to Human Resources, they will not help you, they will either make you feel incompetent or worse off, they will fire you. As soon as I did not owe them my moving expenses, I ran from the company where I though I was going to grow and be proud of.

Supervise Austin. My other colleagues in Arizona and Georgia are happy. You will not make it with the hiring and firing all the time. Check your management credentials.

There are newer employer reviews for General Motors