Genesis Health System

Physician Assistants or Nurse Practitioners look at Genesis last for employment

Current Employee - Physician Assistant in Davenport, IA
Current Employee - Physician Assistant in Davenport, IA

I have been working at Genesis Health System

Pros

The new CEO seems to be making an effort. I think he has been there 2 years.
Most work atmospheres are positive. CEU opportunities through Genesis.
My practice has very flexible physicians easy to work with.
Most do not agree with the way I am treated by the Medical Management and Corporation.

Cons

Physician Assistants are not given contracts this was taken away from us several years ago. Let that be your first warning sign in the interview process. The industry standard for all mid level practitioners and physicians is to have a contract. Wages are frozen for PA's but not for physicians. Your job may be changed at anytime without warning. If a new physician comes into practice all new referrals are given to the physician, unless you are very verbal. Of course your income depends upon how much money you make for the practice. Directors of the Medical Group are very Doctor friendly don't expect to be part of the group, while reimbursement for CEU's etc continues to rise for this group it will not for us has not for years despite numerous efforts. Mindset is you can and will be replaced. Plenty of new graduates to take your place.

More respect for the midlevels. Bring back the contract. Bring pay up to respectable levels. Take a long, hard look at the people you have over the Medical Staff. How about Genesis as a Magnet destination for Physician Assistants and Nurse Practitioners? If safety and fiscal responsibility are important to you, this group should be very important to you. This group is the future of healthcare. They provide medical care to large portion of Genesis patients with good results. One day we may be taking care of you or one of your loved ones. Bring in the best to Genesis.

12 Other Employee Reviews for Genesis Health System (View Most Recent)

A good learning exerience

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Genesis Health System full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The employees work pretty well within each shift
    Training opportunities are abundant and usually free CEU's
    Working on Magnet Status
    Management, in my experience, has been easy to approach

Cons

Health benefits are poor. People are leaving because they have become so expensive.
    Pay is low compared to other states. Makes you feel like you aren't valued.
    A peer does the scheduling on most units. Leads to conflicts.
    Almost impossible to get the days off work that you request, even months in advance.
    Patient to nurse ratios are high
    Outsourcing just about everything they can to save a buck and letting go people who have been there for many years

Lower the nurse to patient ratios if safety is truly a top concern.
    Pay better. It will lead to better quality staff.
    Take care of your staff with better benefits and stop discriminating and shaming them based on the size and health. It's not motivational, rather actually humiliating. I don't even use the insurance, I have just seen the struggle from friends.

rn salary

I have been working at Genesis Health System

Pros

good people to work with.

Cons

low pay, always short staffed, benefits are not good, resources for staff to do their job are not good.

give your employees the resources they need to do the job well and hire more people

There are newer employer reviews for Genesis Health System