There are newer employer reviews for Genesis HealthCare

A crooked, unethical company...not for those who value patient care, morals..... or their license!

Former Employee - Occupational Therapist  in  Melbourne, FL
Former Employee - Occupational Therapist in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Variety of sites at which to work
Benefits (were) better than most

Cons

Management creates an obstacle between the staff and upper management
Staff is considered to be easily replaced
Patient care is second place to profit and company politics
This is no rehab company you want to work for

Listen to your therapists and stop putting so much faith into your management. Your staff is what makes your money, treats the patients and makes GRS what is it..not the managers and directors you put so much blind faith into. I've never seen a company lose so many employees while retaining crooked, unethical and inept managers.

247 Other Employee Reviews for Genesis HealthCare (View Most Recent)

Occupational Therapy Assistant

Current Employee - OTA  in  Medford, MA
    Current Employee - OTA in Medford, MA

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A knowlegable staff who care about thier patients, Good overal support from direct management as far as time off and vacations.

Cons

There is a division between nursing and rehab. Genesis has implemented a freeze on all raises and no longer matches 401K contributions. Insurance rates/co-pays have increased while coverage has decreased.

Listen to your therapists and follow up with resolutions to concerns brought to your attention.

A pretty package isn't always the best gift

Current Employee - PTA  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - PTA in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time for more than a year

Pros

My coworkers are a great team! The pts and my coworkers keep me going on a daily basis. I have built friendhships that will last a lifetime.

Cons

– I became very dishearten when the expectations of traveling came into play for myself and my coworkers due to the increased need for covering patient caseloads due to poor senior management planning for increased growth and development of the company. We, as therapists, became expendable and spent a good deal of our time traveling between multiple communities to cover patients at these understaffed communities. We were thrown around like “ragdolls” and asked to change our schedules (both professional and private) to help cover elsewhere. These calls would go out on a daily basis. The locations of the gyms I worked in were very small and at times embarrassing. One building I worked in was literally a closet. It was difficult to bring patients and their families into the gym and make a good professional impression.

Despite the new technology (iTouches) the productivity requirement s, while able to attain initially, became unsustainable and unrealistic due to poor planning for growth and development of the Midwest markets. The amount of additional responsibilities placed on the therapists was overwhelming. Most therapists are not trained or want to participate in marketing and non-stop caseload growth/development. It looked to me that no matter what the manager or the therapists did to accomplish the goals, it was never good enough. Oh..... and the Fish Points were just not cutting it and making anyone feel better.

I watched my manager become so overwhelmed, that it scared me. The Manager’s health was beginning to be effected, because of the push to be “productive” in spite of the challenges unique to each community. The number of reports, expectations, and the micro-management by the senior management made the manager look harassed and down-right miserable on a daily basis.

If we as employees are asked to be highly productive and achieve the goals, what does the employee get out of it for all the added and extra effort? The news that all merit raises were frozen for all employees. I understand the economy is not good. If I’m going to be asked to step up, work harder, and invest myself to help the company, I want to know that my efforts are going to be rewarded . The fact that GRS continues to acquire other rehab companies (i.e., LeVie and now Sunhealth – a $2Billion company) showed why the productivity requirements were absolutely needed. They are looking for increased funds to buyout their competitors and to help them expand to all 50 states.

I have to agree with the previous reviewer. GRS sucked all the personal satisfaction and enthusiasm out of my job.

Be genuine and don't heap false praise on your employees. The repetitive use of "Your are doing such a good job" or "I'm here to support you" is begining to fall on deaf ears. Remember, your actions speak louder than your words.

There are newer employer reviews for Genesis HealthCare

Worked for Genesis HealthCare? Contribute to the Community!