There are newer employer reviews for Genesis HealthCare

This is a good company, but many shifts often work short.

Current Employee - CNA
Current Employee - CNA

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have average pay.
The management has a number of support programs for tuition, retirement, and benefits.
The union tries to represent the workers well.

Cons

Many shifts are worked with less than the correct amount of staff.
The materials needed to care for patients is depleted at times.
There are a few nurses who do not create a positive working environment.

Advice to Management

Staff all shifts correctly, using outside coverage if necessary.
Review the interaction of nurses and patients and other employees periodically.
Make sure that enough materials are present for each shift.

reviews filtered by

I find that Genesis expects a lot, but not unfairly so.

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people who work there are great

Cons

Sometimes I have found that management doesn't seem to take things on a case by case basis, but go strictly by the rules, even if they don't really fit the situation.

Bottom line profit is the number one priority.

Current Employee - Licensed Therapist
    Current Employee - Licensed Therapist

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive salaries. Continueing education resources.

Cons

Although the salary was competive, there was not a realistic caseload to support it in a rural area. Someone from upper management was hear saying "If we supply the therapist, a caseload will appear". Therefore focus was placed on "program development" aka recycling long term care patients in a nursing home through therapy even when they did not have a functional change to warrant therapy. When the rehab team ceased picking up inappropriate patients to stop this unethical practice, therapists from other buildings that had received "special training" in how to screen patients were sent to show us "how to recognize function change" in patients that we had treated previously and that we had contact with everyday to see that functional change. Although there was continueing education resources, they essentially centered around how to build a caseload and how to make your documentation "audit proof" (of course while keeping up with your productivity standards). Focus is on productivity (aka profitability) as it is with every rehab company in this nation. What would happen if therapists whose main focus is patient "care" formed "care" teams in geographical areas and treated patients with care and respect. We would not need to be so "productive" aka "profitable" if we were not supporting layers of middle and upper management. Oh...and did I mention you do notes on a device that the patients perceive as a cell phone while you are treating them? Patients perceived this as not getting the attention they deserved as well as rude.

Advice to Management

You know what you are doing. Just make sure you keep recruiting new grads with large students loans who don't know any better and teach them that this is the only way they can survive and use the skills they just spent hard years acquiring.