There are newer employer reviews for Genesis HealthCare

Open up to things that are said behind the seens. This could be a better place to work if not for some upper management

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Burlington, NJ
Current Employee - Supervisor in Burlington, NJ

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Caring for our residents. Having friendly relationships with the residents,just talking and listening to them

Cons

the myway or the highway mentality

You have some brillant co-workers/staff, someone should just listen to them sometimes

242 Other Employee Reviews for Genesis HealthCare (View Most Recent)

RUN AWAY!

Current Employee - Evaluating Therapist  in  Charles Town, WV
    Current Employee - Evaluating Therapist in Charles Town, WV

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fellow therapy staff are professional and caring, but beaten down by top-heavy management.

Cons

Still working for them after 2 years as PRN and then full time evaluating therapist, looking to get out. They constantly push therapists to commit medicare fraud. They deny it, but essentially that's what they do. Like this "new initiative" to do more IDT screens of long term care patients - case in point - most of them have been on caseload and have established RNPS/FMPs, but we are now expected to re-screen them all and if they haven't been on caseload in a few months, put them back on. GRS is all about making money, and one of the other things they do is make employees as miserable as possible, to get them to leave so they don't have to lay off. Then when someone leaves they don't get replaced or full timers get replaced with part timers.

Plus if you want to actually use your accrued time off, good luck to you! They now have a system in place that is so heinous there is no way anyone can plan a family vacay. You want to go visit family at Christmas? OK, then you have to work Thanksgiving (which you don't get paid extra for), you have to submit your time off request in September, AND the higher ups won't tell you if you're approved until November! LMAO! I already booked non-refundable flights, so if they say "no" I will be handing in my notice. For 2014 they want everyone to submit requests 4-5 months in advance, and again, will not approve until a few weeks beforehand. And if you're pregnant? Good luck keeping your job! They skirt the legalities but plan to not get your job back if you go on disability or take full FMLA. And what everyone above says is true - they make you treat unstable patients up until the point they code in the gym. GRS has a bad enough rep that a couple of the doctors in my facility won't let us screen or treat their patients at all. Lastly, they have cut full time hours to 30 per week, if you want to work more than that you will be required to cover multiple buildings. And you will have to clock out between buildings. Last thing: working for GRS has me so burned out I am pursuing other careers altogether, careers that are not in healthcare at all.

Some RPMs are good (Gainesville VA) and some are not (Charles Town, WV). The ones that are good are family friendly, flexible, supportive and able to see gray areas. The ones that are not expect you to come to work even if you're sick and work with patients up until the moment they code. Some of them are very favoritistic and unprofessional, they might lie to your face and talk about you to the rest of staff at lunchtime when you're not there. They will throw you under the bus if any doctors are difficult to deal with.

UPDATE: On a recent "national conference call" all rehab employees were informed that laptops will go away, i pods will go away and iPads will be used exclusively for ALL documentation and billing. AND all therapists will be required to clock in and out between patients. AND you will ONLY be paid for CONTACT TIME. So, with the 85% productivity requirement, if you are scheduled to be in the building 10 hours, you will treat for 8 1/2 hours, and you will be paid ONLY for 8 1/2 hours, not 10. The President also told us we have to be super flexible - in other words, even if you're part time, when caseload is low, you will work less, but when rehab dept. gets slammed you better be available for long days and weekends.

To quote the call transcript: "Medicare will not pay for anything other than the time you are treating patients. This means we need to look at everything, from the time each day you come into the gym to the start of treatment. I understand people have historically come into work at a time that meets their personal requirements but Medicare has said we can’t have this non-treatment time factor in their reimbursement. Historically people have done things like drop their kids off at the bus and then come into work."

I read this to mean that in essence GRS is not going to be paying their employees at all - merely passing through a percentage of their Medicare reimbursement. Unfair, since we are not actually running our own private practices. So you can forget about getting any paperwork done somewhere quiet. You will have to do everything while with the patients, which is at times highly inappropriate and/or rude, and then if you need extra time to finish up, you will be volunteering your time.

Tech update: ROX desktop and mobile have both been FUBAR since this call happened. I have resigned. If they can't figure out how I can e sign whatever documents I can force through, that's going to be their problem, not mine.

I have heard that Aegis and Rehabcare will be doing the same kind of thing, so far Heartland/Manorcare is still paying you for ALL your time (but demanding 90% productivity).

Restore some holidays AND paid holidays. Go back to paying people for the time they work and if that means layoffs, so be it. PAY THE PEOPLE YOU GREEDY CAPITALISTS! Be more flexible dealing with your employees. Do a better job at hiding your greed. Or at least admit to it, own it.

Go here only If you are truly desperate for a job as the turnover rate is high and they are always hiring

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Medford, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medford, MA

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time for less than a year

Pros

They are always hiring. Conveniently located. Decent amount of rehab equipment. Plenty of parking.

Cons

From a rehab perspective they are only interested in minute by minute accountability. Staff are pushed to the max and completely stressed out. Poorly organized and NO, you're ideas and opinions are NOT valued. All doc is done point of service with malfunctioning itouches and no tech support. Computers are antiquated with login times upwards of 20-30 minutes, yet they expect 90+% productivity. The place frequently smells of urine and many patients sit in wet diapers all day. I've yet to see one happy employee.

They aren't looking for advice from employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Genesis HealthCare

Worked for Genesis HealthCare? Contribute to the Community!