Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation

www.gnf.org
  www.gnf.org
There are newer employer reviews for Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation

Top notch drug discovery engine but you are just a cog in a wheel

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation

Pros

GNF is a fine place to work. Good benefits, reasonable pay, and the "possibility" to do some great research . But your boss makes a huge difference because upper management hasn't learned to deal with personnel issues effectively now that GNF is 500+ employees. The drug discovery process at GNF is very productive so you can learn a lot in an environment that feels semi-academic.

Cons

GNF is cramped - don't expect your own office. It is very multi-cultural (high percentage of asians) so expect a group-think mentality and less personal recognition. Chances to work outside of assigned area are few.

Place workers on assignments they are interested in- you will get 10X more productivity.

23 Other Employee Reviews for Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation (View Most Recent)

Not a good place to work for, and be careful

Current Employee - Scientist I in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Scientist I in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation

Pros

Considering the biotech market in SD area is actually shrinking, GNF is probably the only a few places if you are interested in doing science in an industry setting.

Cons

Management is messy. Both upper and lower management show no respect to people work under them. As a technican, don't expect you will learn here unless you are very lucky to work for a nice boss. Things like to be kept as secret, people are expected to work in dark.

Pls show some respect to people work for you, otherwise don't hire them. Learn some upper management skill.

Postdocs beware.

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation

Pros

I enjoy working with my co-workers. I have had good success in collaborating with individuals on various projects. There are many interesting new directions for research. The resources to get work done are strong and very helpful.

Cons

As a postdoc you get very little respect and support from management. I think my experience would be very different in a different position. I also suspect that being a woman kept my ideas from being taken seriously. I also got no technical help with my project. Most postdocs do not get this kind of support that is common in an academic lab.

Give better support and training to postdocs. Otherwise, you shouldn't employ them.

Work at Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation? Share Your Experiences

Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation