Great corporate internship experience

Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC
Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Gensler as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work especially for those new to the corporate lifestyle. The DC office is pretty "chill" and there's a lot of workshops and things to do outside of work. The pay is decent for an internship. A lot of opportunities to work collaboratively with other disciplines.

Cons

Meetings about meetings about meetings. Too many meetings. I just want to do my work.
Wasn't a big fan of DC but the corporate lifestyle is something you get used to.

Advice to Management

N/A

reviews filtered by

architecture

Current Employee - Architectural Designer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Architectural Designer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Gensler full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

encouragement, encouragement, encouragement, encouragement, encouragement, encouragement,

Cons

low income, similar project, low income, similar project, low income, similar project, low income, similar project,

The Myth

Former Employee - Senior Associate
    Former Employee - Senior Associate

I worked at Gensler full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benifits, offices in all major cities. Good for someone who wants to work the system and move around a lot.

Cons

Be prepaed to take a salary that is lower than industry standard.
    Be prepared to devote your whole life to the company. It is kind of a pyramid scheme. I was high enough in the company before I left that I was on the hiring committee. From the minute a person is hired it is determined if they are "super star " or a "work horse" If you are labeled super star you are introduced to all the right people given the best projects and staff to assist you. If you are labeled a work horse you will hear all the propaganda about opportunities and doing great design but trust me you will never be anything other than a work horse. You will work crazy hours,one project after the next in hopes of getting some small bonus come June. The bonus will never be equivalent to all the hours you will put in.

Advice to Management

Get back to the original roots and vision of the company. If you stop low balling fees you can give your employees a better work life balance .