There are newer employer reviews for Gentiva

Branch Specific for Quality

Current Employee - Occupational Therapist
Current Employee - Occupational Therapist

I have been working at Gentiva full-time

Pros

Lots of paid training before you start seeing patients. Great online continuing education. Flexible schedule daily & weekly as long as you see all of your patients for home health care. They also have part-time therapist positions with benefits. Great job for therapists and nurses who have kids and/or other activities you want to enfold into your workday.

Cons

A lot of recent changes have diminished the quality of this company. Loved my branch when I started, but changes in management, paperwork & office policies made it harder to meet the needs of the employees and the patients.

Focus on the needs of your employees and patients rather than useless micromanaging and frequent policy changes that are counterproductive.

reviews filtered by

It was a roller coaster ride with frequent internal changes that were difficult for the clinical team to work with.

Former Employee - Case Manager in Lynchburg, VA
    Former Employee - Case Manager in Lynchburg, VA

I worked at Gentiva full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They have put together some very good programs for the patients that are diagnosis specific. The clinical team concept that is in place works well to offer a well rounded care plan for the patients. It is all very patient centered, Visits are not limited to save money, the patient needs were put in the forefront.

Cons

They put together a good team with good concepts but the management support and follow thru with the clinicians is very poor. There are productivity requirements that are difficult to meet because of the paperwork requirements. There are new forms added with little or no training on using the form properly. There is also no additional pay for all the extra forms and time requirements. Conferences are required for patient changes, initiation of care, resumptions, recerts, transfers and discharges. These conferences are very time consuming but there is no compensation for the clinicians time. An average work day for a full time employee requires seeing 6 to 7 patients as well as drive time, conference time, phone calls to physician offices and other entities, and then documentation time. This means an average of 10 to 12 hour work days at best. The clinicians work hard and sacrifice family time because they love what they do but this creates major problems with burnout. I have done home health for many years because I loved what I did, but I could no longer sacrifice my family for my job. When anyone speaks up, questions why or asks for more support the staff/clinicians feel like they are being targeted with complaints from management as well as write ups. There is an air of fear of reprisal with threat of loss of job if someone speaks up against any of the policies or actions of management. Going to human resources is pointless, it changes nothing and then management is trying to figure out who called HR rather than focus on the problem that was identified. This is not an assumption this was witnessed first hand.

The clinicians do not feel appreciated. I believe that management is so busy focusing on the numbers that they have lost site of the team. The clinicians and their relationships with their patients and community sources are what is supporting Gentiva. The clinicians need to feel like someone is hearing them without fear of retaliation.

Overly Busy Office

Former Employee - Office Staff in Hattiesburg, MS
    Former Employee - Office Staff in Hattiesburg, MS

I worked at Gentiva full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Helping and teaching patients to become independent;
    Other employees were great to work with, caring, and compassionate;
    Teamwork among employees, therapy and RN's;
    Field staff love their patients.

Cons

Bottom line is money, not patients;
    Work load for 2 is given to 1;
    Office management pushed about money makes for a bad environment;
    Profess patient care, but push billing in clinical office, with not enough time to do both properly.

Stick up for your staff a bit more; Put patients at the top of the list, not money; Upper Management, come down to the street (office) level and see what really goes on. These patients and employees are not just numbers. They are real people that need help, education and jobs. I realize this is a business but treating everyone as +1 with admission quotas will not keep you a reliable staff.

There are newer employer reviews for Gentiva