Gentle Dental & Orthodontics

A patient mill

Former Employee - Patient Care Coordinator  in  Portland, OR
Former Employee - Patient Care Coordinator in Portland, OR

I worked at Gentle Dental & Orthodontics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Overall good Dentists in the practices. Overall decent equipment and furnishings in the offices. Many different offices to move to (for staff people).

Cons

Poor managment and HR practices. Basically, Gentle Dental of Oregon is a patient mill. Its all about how much you can harvest from each patient. As a PCC (Patient Care Coordinator) I felt first hand the pressure to get the numbers. There is no incentive other than the threat of being fired. And the threat is constant, employees are like patients...to be used up then discarded. The pay is low, the benefits are low and the hours demanded are very high. They expect you to work 50 to 60 hours a week including weekends. Mangement is generally of poor quality, if they know the dental business at all (and some dont) there focus is on the daily and monthly production goal, not patient care...or even doing the minimum necessary. For example, by far most "honorable" Dentists will only charge out a single restoration if there are 2 areas on a tooth that need the filling. However, at Gentle dental they charge out for two separate fillings on the same tooth. This costs the patient more in co-pay and ultimately the insurance pays more for it. Yes, it can be done...but its kind of a low thing to do. The bottom line is dont work for this company either as a staff person or a dentist. They will use you to the max and spit you out when you are exhausted.

Try paying the going wage for your staff. Sure the employment market is soft, so you can get away with hammering your employees, but it shows in turn-over and gives your company a bad reputation. Which so far as I can see is well deserved. The monthly goal is not the sum total of good dentistry.

10 Other Employee Reviews for Gentle Dental & Orthodontics (View Most Recent)

Dentist salary

Former Employee - Dentist  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Dentist in San Diego, CA

I worked at Gentle Dental & Orthodontics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Gentle dental university
    Help from clinical director with legal problems.

Cons

Constantly pushed for production, quality of the work doesnot matter if dentist produce money to company. Always changing staff, DA are not qualified to do their job. General dentists treated like disposable material, no base pay,if no production then 30 day notice. Company constantly looking for new dentist.

Relatively good place to work in as an associate general dentist compared to other dental companies.

Current Employee - General Dentist  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - General Dentist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Gentle Dental & Orthodontics full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Pretty good systems in place (at least compared to other dental corporations I've worked in) to help manage day to day activities.
    -If full time: malpractice insurance paid for, supplies are supplied as well. Medical and dental benefits are good also, as well as other benefits one can have (it, 401K, or other retirement plans)
    -Ethical place to work in (yes, believe it or not, for a dental corporation!). Good perio protocol in place. Dr is free to diagnose however they choose, so did not get too much pressure for trying to "sell" a treatment plan that wasn't of the standard of care.
    -company paid CE available, especially when first starting out with the company. Basic practice management and risk management is talked about--these are things you do not get in dental school.
    -yearly "getaway" meeting at a nice hotel/resort with employees from different regions and offices, and seminars/lectures from those from upper management, including the CEO. General "mission goal" explained to everyone.
    -opportunity for mentorship from a senior dentist

Cons

-Relatively lower pay production rate than other places. But then again, the benefits are good, so that may outweigh things.
    -When I wanted to leave the company and go venture off on other opportunities, their "pep" talk for convincing me to stay was basically a conversation about how great their benefits were. I was a bit disappointed that they didn't have anything better to say other than the "great" benefits they have.
    -the upper management (ie, CEO, etc) speeches during the seminars are great and motivating. their ideas they had for how to better manage an office were good. The only disappointing thing I found was that those ideas I wanted to apply once I got back seemed to be "hindered" a bit by the middle management. I felt like there could be a little "cleanup" with some of the middle management employees (ie, regional managers, etc).
    -you have to schedule your vacation time a year ahead! (this is for full time employees only)

As someone had mentioned before in this same thread, you need to take a harder look at what is truly going on in the offices. The high morale in an office I wanted to feel isn't quite what I felt when I went back to the office after some of the meetings/lectures/seminars I went to.

There are newer employer reviews for Gentle Dental & Orthodontics

Worked for Gentle Dental & Orthodontics? Contribute to the Community!